Using a weight belt with a BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think perhaps you can put some of the weight on the cam band in a weight pocket upside down so that when you need to dump it, just unclip the buckle and it falls out into your palm (which you can then carefully drop after checking there are no diver heads straight down below you). Assuming you are having an almost balanced rig just slightly negative - The weight needs to be just enough to lighten the load and help you swim up …

I think perhaps you can put some of the weight on the cam band in a weight pocket upside down so that when you need to dump it, just unclip the buckle and it falls out into your palm (which you can then carefully drop after checking there are no diver heads straight down below you). Assuming you are having an almost balanced rig just slightly negative - The weight needs to be just enough to lighten the load and help you swim up …
Have you done this?
Have you seen it done?
Do you practice this procedure on a regular basis?
Have you ever seen this procedure done in a training video, perhaps you can share it?
I am curious as to how the training for this goes; I think I would have flexibility and mobility issues, but I have never tried it, so I am really curious about this advice.
I guess you could open a buckle with one hand and then with the same hand catch the weight?

How do you reach the weights on the cam bands to release those weights? I do use weights on a cam band which I sometimes use, but when I do, the weight pockets are right side up and the weights are intended to stay there. I wouldn't want to risk accidental releases with upside down weight pockets.

You guys, you have to educate yourselves

The_Symbolism_Behind_the_Many_Arms_of_Hindu_Gods_0001.jpg

Any divers on here any more

Mako rubber freediving belt UNDER the crotch strap. Because I used to dive cold water, I put pockets on it. 2 in the back and 2 towards the front. The ones toward the front were mounted upside down.
The number of times I dropped weight from them, outside of demoing the setup for a class? 0 (none, nada, zilch) because I also dived properly weighted. The ditching option was just in case I needed to drop some to assist someone else at the surface and wanted as much lift as possible.
There is no need to wear the belt over the harness or crotch strap.
Try it sometime in a pool or where you know you will find the belt. Use pockets and put soft weights in them if it's a pool.
Get to the surface, pop your waist belt and let the crotch strap fall away as you pop the buckle on the belt.
Takes less than a few seconds and the belt is gone.
Putting it over the harness is a good way to greatly increase the chance of it dropping when you don't want it to.

Weight belts
Those clunky exposed block things, unless I'm diving Double Hose haven't used one since the 80s
For, the look

So it's a pouch or pocket belt for me with flat rectangular ingots none at the back unencumbered

010.JPG

I'm building an ocean shore diving plate belt and scooters at the moment but then that's just me

018.JPG

Hey go to the the gun shop, grab lead shot have your mum sew up some doorstops, please mum

013.JPG

What about these little beauties and anyway best I go building instead of just guiding attempting

Screenshot (1303).png

How about this guy again, that bolts the lead straight to the plate you know all those extra holes

184 DSC06699aa.JPG

L@@k at this, they put it on special just for us

But there are more!

On the occasions that I have had to use a weight belt with my BP/W, I have quite intentionally put the belt inside the crotch strap. As Searcaigh says, the need to ditch weights is rare. More common is the situation where the weight belt comes loose, in which case the crotch strap can catch it and give you time to reattach. Finally, in the extremely rare case of a need to dich those weights, that need is almost never immediate. You should have time to open the buckle, pull the belt free, and drop it.
My challenge is that I'm in instructor's training now, so I need to take the belt off for demonstration quite often ;-).

Mako has a silicone weight belt that works great, stretches easier than other rubber belts and if you drop it and lose it they will replace it and any of their weights that were attached.

My challenge is that I'm in instructor's training now, so I need to take the belt off for demonstration quite often ;-).
Thus bringing up the dilemma of instructing. Do you wear the gear you use, or do you use the gear your students use? When instructing new OW students for a dive shop, I was required to use the same gear they were using, which was a jacket BCD from their rental inventory.

I recently spent two weeks in Roatan, one at CocoView resort and one on the Aggressor Liveaboard. I forgot to pack my STA, and so I could not use my BP/W. I tried very hard, with lots of local help, and it was very clear that I could not replace the STA or rent a BP/W anywhere. My only choice was a jacket BCD, and that would also be the only choice for a new diver who does not yet own gear.

Back
Top Bottom