Using A Long Hose Isn't Just For Tech Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

meisburger:
Thats a bit confusing ...

I think you're the one who's confused ... the man said he was the DONOR, not that he ran OOA himself. I think you're reading what you want to read into this discussion ... not what people are actually saying. That doesn't make you Irish ... it makes you predisposed.

As for your ability to monitor the weaker members of your team, the chances are pretty good that the person you will be donating air to won't be your dive buddy. It's often the case that people who lack air management skills also lack buddy skills, and have no idea where their buddy is when they need them ... so they swim up to the most available diver, irrespective of buddy teams.

Had it happen to me last year ... by someone who, it turns out, is a DM for a local dive shop and should've been showing better skills. The guy got down into the red zone at 90 fsw, realized it, and swam over to me to ask for air (his buddy was in the vicinity, but beyond the visibility range).

As for the frequency of someone having to donate air, it simply comes from being in the water a lot ... particularly if you dive in areas that are popular recreational sites. Put in a few hundred dives a year and you'll encounter all sorts of things that just shouldn't be happening on scuba gear.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Actually Bob, you are confused. The guy that called me the Muppet and talked about donors wasn't the guy who said he had three out of air situations, and a fourth near miss. When I spoke of superior abilities, I wasn't refering to myself, I was refering to people who feel they are "experts". Anyway, I don't want to upset you. I don't normally dive on crowded sites, so the chances are good I don't know what I'm talking about. I think I'll go to sleep instead. Cheers, Tim

meisburger:
I don't think we think we are superior. We think that you think you are superior because you wear fancy and expensive equipment, and take everything so seriously. Face it, you're a gearhead, as well as a cheesehead. We just dive for fun....

cheers, tim
Meisburger, have you ever driven a train ? because you have the "makings" of a fine engineer.

this clock thing keeps ticking.

detroit diver:
Anyone else getting a sense of consistency from the solo divers?

"My superior abilities"

"27 years experience"

I think I'll puke.
I also notice that they keep talking about how great they are not letting anything bad happen.. the rest of us realize that no matter how hard we try to prevent such incidents, they CAN occur, and it's very much worth it to plan and train for when, not if, something bad happens.

jonnythan:
I also notice that they keep talking about how great they are not letting anything bad happen.. the rest of us realize that no matter how hard we try to prevent such incidents, they CAN occur, and it's very much worth it to plan and train for when, not if, something bad happens.

can you post your ratio between real dives and internet posting. I'm thinging that it's in the neighborhood of 1 dive to 200 posts.

WARNING

O.K. boys and girls. We have allowed this thread to continue on because for the most part people haven't been calling each other names.This morning it has taken a decidedly different direction.

I will caution you all to discontinue the personal insults. If you don't we will close this thread...

1 dive to 40-something posts :wink:

And, yet, amazingly, I've had to deal with other divers going OOA. I'm infintely more prepared now that I have a long hose with bungeed backup, and the possibility of dealing with an OOA diver or going OOA due to catastrophic gear failure simply doesn't scare me anymore. I practice with the long hose and drill with the long hose and I know it's superior to the "standard" setup I used before with a 3' octo hose and shorter primary hose because I've used it.

FWIW, not that it will make any difference to you nova, I adopted, practiced, and drilled with the long hose while I was still "anti-DIR" and diving with a TUSA back inflate BC. I bought the proper hoses, installed them on my regs, practiced on land and in the water, and figured out how to do it all on my own, with a little advice from the internet, because there was no one anywhere near me doing local diving with a long hose.

It's a superior setup, period.

Novadiver,
As much as I'd like to dislike you I can't (your persistence in the face of genuis is remarkable... but you've now spawned son of Novadiver, well, will this be your own cult - will you be taking a Fundamentals class and if so what will the course objectives be :) ? How to train or how to trainspot the rec/tec wannabe ? How to kill your buddy in 5 simple steps?
Will it include a guide on how to give the novice diver an idea of the TURDS rule - heh I'm Irish after all!

Cheerio folks that was my last post on Scubaboard.

It's been nice hearing from many of you and I wish you all luck but I've reached a point in my life where I need to get alife so farewell adieu, auf widersehen goodbye.

Back
Top Bottom