Using A Long Hose Isn't Just For Tech Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Everyone:

Our Terms of Service do not allow personal attacks on anyone. I have deleted all
the personal attacks that have been posted since yesterday, inclduing posts that
referenced those attacks.

Please do not call anyone names, make racial slurs, or otherwise insult people, or
your posts will be deleted.

We're here to share knowledge and have fun , so let's do that. We can disagree
without calling each other names.

Though not an original idea and one that some might disagree, I - like many others - think that the best way to address an OOA emergency is by donating the primary reg…the reg that is in the donor’s mouth. It is immediately available and known to be working and because it is the diver’s primary it will likely be a high performance easy breathing reg. A quality backup reg is secured beneath the chin in a protected position and also is immediately available to the donor. If one agrees with this concept then matters such as the length of various hoses becomes secondary. The choice of a 40 inch, 5 or 7 foot primary will depend on the diver’s preferences and or body habitus.

A standard length primary hose will likely be uncomfortably short to be used in this manner. For this reason some will choose to use a standard length octo hose on their primary. This hose is then routed under the arm and close to the body. Routed in this manner, a swivel at the second stage will aid in relieving mouth fatigue. This 40 inch length is fine for OW though some would prefer additional length for improved comfort in side to side or face to face maneuvering as a swim to the exit point or ascent is made.

It is here that a case can be made for a 5 to 7 foot hose. A hose of this length can be routed very cleanly in the typical hog fashion. This routing is comfortable…perhaps even more comfortable than the standard rig routing…and is the slickest and most streamlined routing available. It requires little training and is easily mastered. It offers additional length if needed yet doesn’t preclude staying eye to eye with an OOA diver if that position is required.

Drawbacks of using a long primary hose include the need to be a bit more attentive with your gear when topside and the fact that it is best implemented with a BP and wing combination. While some would not consider the use of a BP/wing as a drawback most folks still prefer to dive a BC. Though a long hose could be routed with a BC, I would suggest to BC wearers that they consider the 40 inch primary hose instead.

Seems like a waste... posting in this thread...it's a great topic...too bad it got trashed. I'm sure most folks won't wade thru most of this garbage.

OK back to our regularly scheduled debate.
Question: When sharing long hose through a restriction, does donor lead or follow?

in both my Intro. Cave and DIR-F classes, we practice that the "injured" diver
goes in front.

in other words, the donor follows the OOA diver.

on ascent, of course, you face each other, stay horizontal, and slowly come up

wedivebc:
OK back to our regularly scheduled debate.
Question: When sharing long hose through a restriction, does donor lead or follow?
Good question! I remember hearing of one fatality that happened, were the third diver in the team had to climb over the body of the diver that didn't make it. OMG that accident was the one that started all the flaming over the net

so what's your answer, Nova? does donor lead or follow?

H2Andy:
so what's your answer, Nova? does donor lead or follow?
He handed the OOA diver the slung cave pony, remember? Who cares at that point?

jonnythan:
Who cares at that point?

the...... slung cave pony?

is this a trick question?

The Al80 he said he kept slung. It's his third third when he's cave diving.. the two AL80's on his back are his other two thirds. He didn't call it his cave pony, I did :wink:

When he donated air, he said he'd hand the bottle off...

interesting procedure....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom