Using a Glock to discourage sharks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm thinking that this might be a useful piece of equipment. Think about it, your insta-buddy, or arrogant dive guide decides to ignore your thumbing the dive..... maybe this would get the point across that the dive is OVER!!!

From the Glock website:

“The marinized Glock 17 is primarily for use by various Special Warfare units operating in aquatic environments. At least one specialized Scuba diving group regularly uses G17's to dispatch sharks where they dive. The Glock 17 using NATO specification ball ammunition will completely penetrate a minimum of one 1/2" pine board at a distance of ten feet from the muzzle when fired underwater.

This isn't a DIR-approved piece of gear. :no:

Guns have no place in diving, neither above water nor under water. Guns in diving are like purge valve masks: They are a solution for a problem that doesn't exist.

Sharks, as a rule, don't attack divers. A few isolated incidents do happen every now and then, but a gun wouldn't help in those cases. Sharks don't eat people for prey. They mistake them for prey and take a taste-bite, which usually results in grave injuries that can be fatal in some cases. By the time a victim had their gun ready to shoot at the shark, the "attack" will be over.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wasn't there some guy last year going on about defending "his" air from an OOA diver by pulling out his knife......and now he might have a Glock!!:shocked2::shocked2:

Loopylettuce....crazysauerkraut....something like that :eyebrow::wink:

Leave the sharks alone.
:bash:

I'm thinking that this might be a useful piece of equipment. Think about it, your insta-buddy, or arrogant dive guide decides to ignore your thumbing the dive..... maybe this would get the point across that the dive is OVER!!!

This isn't a problem. Just leave the jerk at depth and do what you need to do. :idk:

Guns have no place in diving, neither above water nor under water. Guns in diving are like purge valve masks: They are a solution for a problem that doesn't exist.

Sharks, as a rule, don't attack divers. A few isolated incidents do happen every now and then, but a gun wouldn't help in those cases. Sharks don't eat people for prey. They mistake them for prey and take a taste-bite, which usually results in grave injuries that can be fatal in some cases. By the time a victim had their gun ready to shoot at the shark, the "attack" will be over.

If we dive unarmed the terrorists win

But leave the sharks alone

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of ya'll are taking this thread WAY too serious. So far the threads have been mainly academic (physics of attempting this) or humorous in nature.

As for the ar-15 instead of the GLOCK (it's a g, not a b) you need to watch more mythbusters. Rifle rounds and HV pistol rounds only last a few inches in water. You need something large and slow (relatively) like a 45ACP for best use in water.

Why wouldn't a glock be DIR? It's black, it's minimalist, you just need to get the team to agree on mounting location and OOB sharing rehersals.

Methinks somebody's been watching old Sea Hunt reruns ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I was remembering probably the same scene...where Mike Nelson is "testing" a S&W model 10 .38 special underwater. Only thing is I haven't been watching the reruns...I saw it FIRST RUN.

Methinks we might be showing our ag-, er, "experience level". :D

Back
Top Bottom