Using a Glock to discourage sharks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We had a guy in our open water course ask our instructor why he shouldn't use a dive knife as a weapon vs a shark. The instructor just looked at him for a moment, decided that he probably should answer the kid, and simply said, "6 inch piece of metal on a slow combersome body outside of it's environment vs a well equipped killing machine evolved for ruthless efficiency over millions of years as a predator. Who do you think would win?"

Ok, so it wasn't quite that elaborate, but that was the gist of it. It gave everyone a good laugh. Then he reminded us that PADI insists that we always dive with a dive buddy, and he recommended diving with someone who swims slower than you do.

Back on topic; that stuff about the glock is pretty cool. I never figured a company would look into firing their guns under water since there were so many things that could go wrong. Kind of like when someone in one of my college classes didn't think you could fire a gun on the moon since there wasn't any air. But you totally can! (it's in the cartridge) lol. However, there are a lot more factors to consider besides that.

K ellis: The concussion wave shouldn't be an issue, as it would exit the barrel away from the diver. Depth charges created concussion waves in every direction. This is why Glock recommends not firing the gun near solid objects, as they can reflect the concussion wave back at you. Ouch.
Off topic again, would you be interested in going diving sometime? I live in Fayetteville, and I read in one of your other posts that you enjoy diving with newbies.

Edit: CamG, I would never shoot anyone prior to diving. How morbid! I seriously judge you.

Now after diving, it's fair game. Shooting them isn't going to ruin a perfectly good dive that's already happened. XD. Really though, glad to hear you made it out okay.

I'm a bit uncertain as to whether the concussion is an issue. Glock is concerned about it but wouldn't the traditional shotshell equipped bangstick have even greater concussion?

I'm a bit uncertain as to whether the concussion is an issue. Glock is concerned about it but wouldn't the traditional shotshell equipped bangstick have even greater concussion?

I am going diving this weekend. Will report back with results.

EDIT: anybody got a video cam? Lake Millbrook. This might even go above WhalerKyle's experiments. Mythbusters here we come.

I am going diving this weekend. Will report back with results.

EDIT: anybody got a video cam? Lake Millbrook. This might even go above WhalerKyle's experiments. Mythbusters here we come.

Are you taking a glock or Rye_a's H&K? There's got to be some sort of quality control in this experiment.

Off topic again, would you be interested in going diving sometime? I live in Fayetteville, and I read in one of your other posts that you enjoy diving with newbies.

Absolutely :) I have a few on here that are wanting to dive when I make it out that way. I am planning on maybe the middle of next month :) When I do you should come out with me and any group I have with me. :)

Actually the entire idea of firing underwater really had little to do with engaging a target also beneath the surface. Rather, it was forseen that rebreather divers on attempting to surface might need to engage targets on a beach or platform above, the weapon needed to be capable of firing submerged, but the idea was to fire upwards to hit a target above the water.

Are you taking a glock or Rye_a's H&K? There's got to be some sort of quality control in this experiment.

Glock 17L unported long slide. 9mm self loaded (and a bit hot i might add)

From the Glock website:

“The marinized Glock 17 is primarily for use by various Special Warfare units operating in aquatic environments. At least one specialized Scuba diving group regularly uses G17's to dispatch sharks where they dive. The Glock 17 using NATO specification ball ammunition will completely penetrate a minimum of one 1/2" pine board at a distance of ten feet from the muzzle when fired underwater.
Trained personnel who use Glocks underwater know they must obey several rules:
1) use only a Glock Model 17 with amphibious spring cups (reliability issue);
2) use only 9mm FMJ subsonic, sealed primer ammo;
3) completely immerse the pistol and get *all* the air out of the barrel;
4) wear protective ear plugs, gloves, wet suit, face mask, etc.;
5) do not fire near solid objects or in enclosed spaces to prevent return
concussion.”

Anyone try this?:popcorn:

What exactly are you trying to discourage them from doing?

Back
Top Bottom