Using a Glock to discourage sharks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Max Speed

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
From the Glock website:

“The marinized Glock 17 is primarily for use by various Special Warfare units operating in aquatic environments. At least one specialized Scuba diving group regularly uses G17's to dispatch sharks where they dive. The Glock 17 using NATO specification ball ammunition will completely penetrate a minimum of one 1/2" pine board at a distance of ten feet from the muzzle when fired underwater.
Trained personnel who use Glocks underwater know they must obey several rules:
1) use only a Glock Model 17 with amphibious spring cups (reliability issue);
2) use only 9mm FMJ subsonic, sealed primer ammo;
3) completely immerse the pistol and get *all* the air out of the barrel;
4) wear protective ear plugs, gloves, wet suit, face mask, etc.;
5) do not fire near solid objects or in enclosed spaces to prevent return
concussion.”

Anyone try this?:popcorn:

Yup, that's what we need ... divers sporting sidearms on the boat, ready to take out the remaining 10% of the world's shark population.

All though you hear alot of stories about them using guns and so forth underwater this is highly unrecommended. First off shooting underwater would prove ineffective even with a 9 mil beyond a few feet (Maybe 10 - 20 at best) simply because the water would act as a buffer and simply stop the bullet. This is why if you ever watch people shooting milk jugs of water back to back after so mant jugs it just completely stops the bullet.

Second off have you ever noticed in war movies how depth charges work? They work off of an explosion which creates a concusion and cracks submarine hulls. Are you seriously wanting to know what a concusion of a firearm has the potential to do in such close proximity to the human body?

Though small enough firearms have the possibility of creating minimum harm I seriously would not take that chance. If the concusion was strong enough your family may be getting flowers.

I wouldn't dive with anyone who did have one on them. Sharks, from everything I've read, very very rarely bother divers. I was very excited to see a pair of sharks in Florida over spring break. I would be be angry if someone started shooting them because they got close. Why would we want to clear sharks out of an area? It is their environment. We are the guests. We are not even suppose to be down there to begin with, so we can at least respect the ones that are. Sorry, but the idea of this really irritates me.

Unfortunately the sharks below the water are not what I need a Glock or HK for.
On a recent trip to north FL spring hopping / cave diving a side arm would have been welcome to tame the parking lot.
I am considering my sidearm permit along with a new compact for just such occasions.
I have discontinued carrying my sidearm for a few years now but regretted not having it at this event.
We were lucky and got out of there without incident.

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

Me thinks the flatlander OP is pulling our collective fins.

I did not find this on the Glock website.

Hmmm, guess I will pack my 17L on my next dive.

Back
Top Bottom