Using a Glock to discourage sharks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This gun works pretty well with a very big shark.

norm-4dc6c1d371bb2-Jaws+%281975%29.jpeg

You mean a few lengths of twine, some sticks, and a rentacop driving a tank

Me thinks the flatlander OP is pulling our collective fins.

I did not find this on the Glock website.

I can only find it marketed in the Phillipines. I'll pick one up next time I'm in Manilla:wink:

it is true a glock can be made to function reliably underwater i did some of the first modifications for civilian divers in the early 90's who dove professionaly and had problems with overly friendly sharks howeaver it is a missconception that you shoot the shark if you did there is little chance that you would cause more than a flesh wound as the bullets effectivness is greatly reduced and sharks are very tough you fire the weapon simply to drive the sharks and pretty much anything else away from you, but this is an extremley unpleasent experence i have fired a few weapons underwater and can say from experence that it's not something you want to do unless there is no other choice, besides if this were a viable means of dispatching large fish underwater you all know there would be guy's ditching there spear gun's and taking to the water with there favorate FISH RIFLE.

It's called a Bang Stick. Been made for many years. Choose a caliber or gauge.

SINGLE SHOT! what is this the dark ages and bang sticks don't allow the mounting of cool accessories

M1911 will also function underwater. If you would like to do a bit of research on this subject there are many videos on youtube showing a variety of firearms operating underwater. Yes, some youtube videos are fake but I doubt there is a grand conspiracy to fake them on the scale it would take to cover all of them online.
Personally I don't think I will ever go shark hunting, not even with a glock but I do think it would be quite interesting to see what a firearm can do underwater.
As for the military, they have more than enough reasons to research, design and build weaponry capable of all this and more.

If you insist of shooting something underwater you might want to consider that low pressure, high mass and lower velocity ammo will perform better. Come to think of it I would think a sealed muzzle loader might just be the ticket. If not just get a single shot break action rifle. Seal the muzzle and around the base of the shell case.
Just some thoughts....

Last edited:
abnjim has brought up what is probably the one really important question in this thread. That being, will the report of a firearm underwater drive off aggressive sharks? While shark attacks might be exceedingly rare, we all know they do happen occasionally and that divers also occasionally end up blowing off deco or otherwise putting themselves in dangerous situations when confronted by aggressive sharks. If the noise/concussion of a pistol shot underwater would serve to drive away aggressive sharks, then a Glock might actually be a worthwhile tool for a small minority of divers.

Not for me though. The only aggressive sea life I encounter are rock crabs and ling cod and I'd rather not submerge my pistols in salt water.

, besides if this were a viable means of dispatching large fish underwater you all know there would be guy's ditching there spear gun's and taking to the water with there favorate FISH RIFLE.

There is a rifle season for rough fish in Louisiana. I have seen a fish succesfully shot with a pistol, retrieved and eaten (Ohio River). Anecdotal evidence from the Normandy landings suggests that an 8mm round can deliver significant damage after 3-5' underwater. All of the above involve projectiles fired in air entering water.

The still photo from Zardoz has completely ruined that movie for me. Sean Connery looked much more menacing in the film.

Back
Top Bottom