Using a Glock to discourage sharks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This entire thread is a great argument for allowing sharks to carry.

Some of them already armed with laser beams on their heads.

Sharks-With-Frickin-Laser-Beams-Attached-To-Their-Heads-Austin-Powers.jpg

Yeah, Baby!

So I thought I had finally purchased the last of the dive equipment I needed and now I find that I have to tell my wife that I need yet another holster. So what are the recommendations? My LDS couldn't answer any of these questions - Waist vs thigh carry vs shoulder? Retention? Where to carry the spare mag? Are there any concealed carry wetsuits or BCs on the market? (Although we don't have very many sharks in the waters in northern Ohio there are some really big and aggressive bluegills).

Seriously though, if I even see shark fin soup on a menu at a restaurant I'm outa there.

RN:
So I thought I had finally purchased the last of the dive equipment I needed and now I find that I have to tell my wife that I need yet another holster. So what are the recommendations? My LDS couldn't answer any of these questions - Waist vs thigh carry vs shoulder? Retention? Where to carry the spare mag? Are there any concealed carry wetsuits or BCs on the market? (Although we don't have very many sharks in the waters in northern Ohio there are some really big and aggressive bluegills).

Along those lines...

My recommendation is you carry a small .22 on a lanyard connected to your spare air as both are equally effective.
Unless you are DIR, then a double barrel shotgun for true redundancy instead of the insufficient caliber of the .22
Some would recommend slinging an AR15 or AK47, clipped to your D-Rings, you won't even know its there and can hand it off to your buddy with ease.

... and don't forget that your choice of armament and where you carry it are going to significantly impact your trim.

And for the real pros, a Vet's Euthanasia Bolt will do the job if you can reach the sharks head...

This entire thread has made me really concerned at how ignorant and moronic ALOT of divers/people are. I understand the irrational fear new divers have towards sharks, although the many people replying to this post seem to be "experienced" divers.

To anyone on this forum who believes "the only good shark is a dead shark", in my opinion, should not be a recreational diver. Unless, however, you have the intellectual capacity to do a bit of research into what sharks actually do to keep OUR oceans healthy.
So stop cleaning your guns and read a book!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I FULLY agree on the preservation of Sharks and as an avid hunter, abhore senseless killing. My dream was to be a Marine Biologist and study sharks.

Last edited by a moderator:

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Posts have been deleted or edited to remove political discussions and insults. If you wish to express opinions in relation to gun laws, please take it to the Pub.

it is true a glock can be made to function reliably underwater i did some of the first modifications for civilian divers in the early 90's who dove professionaly and had problems with overly friendly sharks howeaver it is a missconception that you shoot the shark if you did there is little chance that you would cause more than a flesh wound as the bullets effectivness is greatly reduced and sharks are very tough you fire the weapon simply to drive the sharks and pretty much anything else away from you, but this is an extremley unpleasent experence i have fired a few weapons underwater and can say from experence that it's not something you want to do unless there is no other choice, besides if this were a viable means of dispatching large fish underwater you all know there would be guy's ditching there spear gun's and taking to the water with there favorate FISH RIFLE.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom