Using a Glock to discourage sharks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow. This combines my top two hobbies into one. Pointless for sharks, but cool none the less.

Seriously will this idiotic rumor ever die.

First of all you did not read that statement on the glock website, nor was a statement similar to that of anykind ever made by Glock. You read it from GT or topglock or wherever.

While shooting a pistol underwater is technically feasable, it is incredibly dangerous, nearly harmless to what your shooting at and will almost certainly cause massive internal damage or possibly a KB, not to mention that it will almost guarantee a FTF (a malfunction)

This whole ridiculous rumor started like most bull**** from a seed of truth way back when. Glock produces and sells maritime cups for its 9mm G17/G19 line. THEY DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES ALLOW OR ARE DESIGNED FOR SUBMERGED USE.

Water is a virtually completely incompressible fluid. More so than lead. While the firearm may well fire when completely and totally submerged and free of any air, even using an optimal load of a heavy subsonic round, its still virtually harmless after only a few feet.

The reason for the Glock Maritime cup option was to provide a solution for a much more common, more realistic and still very dangerous situation. When SOF or any other LE/Mil get their weapon submerged and then remove it from the water, the barrel must be given time to drain completely free of any and all remaining liquid. Like I said water is completely incompressible, water in a barrel will cause the same type of failure as a 'squib load' (bullet stuck partially down the barrel) or a fouled muzzle from mud, dirt, snow or sand. All the energey that is developed in the chamber instead of being used to propel the projectile will instead act just like a crude pipe bomb and will instead spike to a drastically high degree of overpressure, which will then lead to a catastrophic failure in which the gun will literally explode in the shooters hands and face, commonly known by shooters as a kb or kaboom.

So anyway the maritime spring cups contain grooves which help aid the drainage of water out of the weapon more quickly in order to facilitate a cleared barrel and a normal out of water shot.

For anyone who has ever had to carry their weapon u/w in a combat environment, the same high tech device has been used to eeffictively seal the muzzle since at least the days on Vietnam where I have personally seen photos of entire UDT tems using this tried and tested tool. That water proofing method is of course the Standard MK1 unlubricated condom and a little 100 mph tape. unass the water, do a quick press check, front sight trigger fire.

Yes, the Glocks are amazingly reliable!

Having the 1911 cocked while carrying is one of the reasons I like them. The first trigger pull is the same as the 2nd. It is unfortunate that your old job wouldn't allow them; it seems some people are caught up in old ways and myths regardless of how much technology, safety, and the world itself changes :(

The other reason I like them is I have small hands, and the glocks double stack magazine is just HUGE! lol
hey we got a twofer! unfortunately two silly posts still doesnt make anything right

Yes the 1911 is SAO, the first trigger pull is the same as the next 7.. and how exactly is this any different than the glock? you ever feel like the first pull on your glock is almost the same as the rest of them... well guess what your not dreaming it is. The glock is a striker fired weapon, every trigger pull is identical.

Quote Originally Posted by k ellis View Post
....They are an amazing weapon. Here (And where I used to LEO at they would not allow 1911s though because they had to be cocked in order to fire. They deemed them a liability to carry on patrol sadly.) [/QUOTE]

What you are describing is carrying in either condition 2 or condition 3, which is both foolish, incorrect, not how the weapon was designed to be used, not to mention it would still be against dept. policy for every weapon (pistol) no matter what including glocks, Xd's, Smiths etc. etc.

The 1911 is designed to be carried condition 1 AKA cocked and locked. one in the pipe , safety engaged, weapon holstered. This is by far the safest way to carry a 1911 and is the only way that John Moses Browning (peace be upon him) had ever intended. Condition 1 means that besides from a secure holster that covers the trigger completely and keeps you booger hook off the boom switch until your up on target and ready to fire, it also still relies on a grip safety hence the need for the beavertail, as well as a crossbar safety internally and of course the standard mechanical safety. All you have when you carry a 1911 or any gun for that matter with an empty chamber is a really expensive hammer to beat the bad guy to death with. Plus without a proper decocker, if you were to drop the hammer manually you would need to do so with a trigger pull while riding the hammer down, which is very very unsafe, not to mention elimnates the cross bar safety from re-engaging.

There are numerous reasons that some depts. have transitioned to glock style platforms, or simply moved away from the 1911 in general. Female officers and small sized men sometimes have a recoil issue with .45 and run the chance of limpwristing. 1911's are more expensive as a dept, and are generally not ambi friendly. not to mention they require for more maintence than a glock. Glocks also allow the officer to reduce his spare mag loadout by allowing universal acceptance between their fullsize, compact and subcompact models. a G22 is a perfect fullsize service weapon for in uniform officers, while a G23 is more adequate for femal officers or plainclothes. The subcompact G26 while still a little tiny bit hefty, can still serve as a great BUG on your ankle or sown into your vest for UC work and carrying off duty and for the Brass.

since your no longer mixing and matching weapons and ammo like the traditional J frame back up, theres no need to carry an additional separate reload for that as well, not to mention the manual of arms for all three glocks is virtually identical. And of course if gd forbid **** ever really hits the fan and your down to BUG, slam a fullsize g22 mag into the little guy and go to town.
fire_diver:
I think your understanding of physics is a little low to say that us debating the physics of this is humorous.

Mythbusters may be a joke scientifically, but I don'tthink anyone would argue that Jamie is a smart dude, and he happens to carry that trusty Sig 228 that you see appear on the show from time to time:D

There was a brilliant intellect back in the days of rec.scuba that thought bringing a Glock on every dive was some sort of requirement to be fully equipped and self sufficient.

Fairly sure he's dead now.

But not because of the gun.

(Still, I don't think the gun helped.)

Where do you get these stories from? A normal scuba diver doesn't even carry a knife...let alone a 9mm Glock.I guess there are always some weird ones out there. Some of them probably carry hand cuffs too...just in case.:(:grouphug:

While I've never met a diver who packed a pistol underwater, virtually every diver I've ever met carried a knife. Occasionally you meet someone who carries shears instead, but generally I've found that the divers that carry shears carry shears AND a knife. It's basic safety. You ought to have some kind of cutting tool with you so that you don't have to gnaw yourself or your buddy out of an entanglement.

Reactions: Jax
The more I think about it, the more I like the idea og using a bang stick to discourage divers with Glocks ....

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of using a bang stick to discourage divers with Glocks ....

Here is a vid of a Russian APS and the underwater pistol firing

Also here is a Ar firing under water

Personally i would rather have the russian APS with rather then a AR or a Glock The bullets of the russian gun is made to travel under water longer distances. I remember reading a paper written on US divers weapons compared to Russians . US made a underwater gun similar to the Russian APS but had pointed tips while the russians had rounded tips. Due to fluid dynamics the blunt tips your travel longer compared to the American pointy darts.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom