Using a Glock to discourage sharks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some of ya'll are taking this thread WAY too serious. So far the threads have been mainly academic (physics of attempting this) or humorous in nature.

As for the ar-15 instead of the GLOCK (it's a g, not a b) you need to watch more mythbusters. Rifle rounds and HV pistol rounds only last a few inches in water. You need something large and slow (relatively) like a 45ACP for best use in water.

Why wouldn't a glock be DIR? It's black, it's minimalist, you just need to get the team to agree on mounting location and OOB sharing rehersals.

No, the add in the NRA magazine clearly states, "Why own a Block when you can own a..."

I don't watch the boob tube, much less mythbusters, but the subsonic velocity makes sense underwater. If 45 ACP is a better alternative I'm in luck. I own a bunch of 1911s. I could always hand load some subsonic 5.56 or 7.62 rounds for the fun of it... The hydrodynamics would be better then a 9 mm or 45 ACP.

I don't think a Glock would be DIR. More likely a Sig Saur due to better construction and tighter tolerances.

This is why we learned to remove our scuba gear under water...

You remove scuba unit and shove the tank in the shark's mouth while at the same time inflating the BC fully. This will make the shark shoot to the surface. Meanwhile you do a CESA while getting the Glock from its holster on your thigh. When you and the shark are both on the surface, swim an appropriate distance away and shoot at the tank. After a couple shots, the tank will explode along with the shark.

I'm sure I saw something similar on TV once, so it must be real :D

“The marinized Glock 17 is primarily for use by various Special Warfare units operating in aquatic environments. At least one specialized Scuba diving group regularly uses G17's to dispatch sharks where they dive. The Glock 17 using NATO specification ball ammunition will completely penetrate a minimum of one 1/2" pine board at a distance of ten feet from the muzzle when fired underwater.

Let me do the math.
1) Attacking Great White ~35 mph or about 51 feet per second
2) Waiting to be within 10 feet to fire or waiting to the last 0.2 seconds of the attack to shoot
3) Average Great White weighs about 2000 lbs
4) subsonic 9mm bullet weighs about 145 grains or ~0.33 ounce.

Someone is going to be discouraged. I don't think it would be the shark...

Fun discussion, though. My best hope involves expelling fluids and solid matter & hoping that will repel the shark.

Is there any record anywhere of a diver fending off a genuine shark attack with any kind of weapon? [as opposed to a hunting/assassination scenario...]? :popcorn:

I thought I saw a couple of years ago that scientists were developing an anti-shark spray, which I assume would have to be waterproof to be useful. Did anything ever come of that?

Is there any record anywhere of a diver fending off a genuine shark attack with any kind of weapon? [as opposed to a hunting/assassination scenario...]? :popcorn:

Bang stick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom