USIA Techniflex Pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, my suit finally got here yesterday! I have been quite excited about it so haven't gotten any pictures yet. Overall I love the suit. The material is sturdy and the suit seems to be very well put together. Ultimately the fit seems very good, and the package came with everything you'd expect in a custom drysuit package (suit, thermals, bag, talc, wax, hoses, cath, etc). Over the past few weeks USIA (or, more specifically Jerry here on the boards) has been extremely helpful in alleviating some of my impatience in receiving the suit. Since I have no local USIA dealer, it made things much smoother to have somebody to contact with questions, concerns, or whatever. I applaude their customer service.

Anyway, the lowdown. I was concerned about the fit initially because the legs seemed to be really poofy with the exo 2 thermals underneath (think rennaissance guy with really poofy knickers). Was sweating perfusely in my house so took off the thermals and put the suit back on, dumped all the air and it looked and felt much better. I expect I may have just been uncomfortable in all the fleece, had only the suspenders up and not the whole torso, and hadn't dumped the air when I got that initial impression... so, not a suit problem but a stupid user issue :wink:

Other than that, hmm. The socks are a little longer on my foot than I expected, but not all too uncomfortable. Oh, and while not relevant to the quality of the suit, my boots are friggin huge. Why-o-why did I have to have such monster feet?? Size 12 normal shoes equated to size 14 all-terrain boots. I think I could fit my 8 yr old daughter inside one of them. :wink:

There was one small spot in the seam under the lower part of the zipper that has some glue pulling at one of the seam corners. It seems to be in a higher stress area of the suit (at least when getting into the suit) so I don't know if that is normal or not, but it doesn't seem to be any concern right now. I'll have to take a picture to give a clearer indication of what I mean.

As part of the package I got 2 of the removable zippered pockets. There were no instructions on how to install them on the suit, but other than the orientation of the straps, they are pretty intuitive. I placed the connection points of the 4 straps on the inside rather than outside of the pocket area(look carefully at the pockets on the pictures in this thread and you'll see a thicker plastic piece sticking up - that's where the strap locks back into itself). There are 4 connecting straps per pocket. It made it a little more difficult to get the pocket attached with the connectors on the inside, but I think it hides it better.

Self don/doff is extremely easy. Getting my arms out by myself was minimally tricky the first time, but just took a bit of finesse that got easier the second time I did it.

Not much else I can comment on since I haven't gotten it wet yet. Assuming the new fins I have coming fit my frankenstein feet, I should be doing just that on Sunday and will take some pictures. :)

Until then... :)

I have heard from a couple people that the neoprene/bioflex sock sizing has been a bit long, and could cause some bunching and discomfort. Any chance this could be looked at from the initial sizing and be corrected instead of waiting for the suit to arrive and then send it back?

My suit arrived at the shop today. I'll head down to get it Sunday or Monday. And give initial impressions then...

I've been diving mine for a couple months now, and I'm very happy with it. I've been meaning to post my glowing review w/ pics for a while, but I've been so friggen' busy with work and diving I haven't had time. Short version: Techniflex rocks, and for half what one of those other suits will cost you!

Well, the suit dove beautifully. It was comfortable and very dry. The only dampness I got was around the upper thighs area and that didn't soak through the exo 2's outer layer. I am thinking that since I did not "hook up" the P-valve and I didn't clamp off the tubing that it backwashed a little. Everything else was dry as a bone.

Water was 37 degree's at about 63 feet max. It averaged in the low 40's throughout the dive. I was quite warm enough in the exo 2 thermals and a thin wicking layer underneath.

Alas, I forgot the camera so didn't get any pictures. Next dive is Beaver Lake on the 14th and I know I'll have a camera there so I'll snap some. Can't wait to dive it again! :)

I picked up my suit from the shop tonight. So far so good. Walked into the pool with it and it felt very nice. I'll try to do a pool dive next Sunday and see how that goes. I am new to drysuit diving so I am not keen to just run out to OW with it yet.

I have identified one problem, at least for myself, with this suit that for me makes it a deal breaker. Let me start by saying I love the suit, so this is not an excuse to complain about it. IMHO, for the money you couldn't get a better suit, but my issue could be a potentially serious one for some other divers purchasing this suit. The forearm dump, which USIA seemed to indicate is their new "stock position", inpairs my ability to safely do a left post manifold shutdown. The valve is positioned such that I either cannot reach my handwheel now, I've never had this problem before and this is my 7th suit of varying manufacture and design, or if I do reach the valve; I do so at the cost of the dump valve being pushed in releasing any stored air in the suit causing a dangerous loss of bouyancy. At 200 feet on a tech dive where perfect bouyancy and the ability to hover even in an emergency is required to survive, a valve problem such as I'm having would be potentially deadly. USIA did say they could move the valve, and I'm sure for recreational diving it would be fine on the forearm, but technical divers beware and my suggestion is to ask for the upper shoulder position when ordering. I wish USIA would post somewhere that they now intend the forearm position to be their stock placement, if I had known when I ordered it was not coming on the upper arm I would not have to get a plug for my suit and send it back to move the valve; I would have ordered it on the upper arm. Anyway, like I said it may not be a problem for everyone but I wanted to let potential tech purchasers know.

Wow. Sorry dude. The picture on the webpage shows a forearm dump, so when I ordered my suit, I asked if it could be on the shoulder. They said no problem and put it there.

I apologize for the confusion on the valve placement. It does say it on the website, but a lot of the dealers still are new to the suit. If you want to send it in, I will retrofit the suit at no charge. I will also throw in the plug. Just PM me if you are planning on sending it in. It will only take a day or so and then shipping time.

Yeah- I had mine put in the normal spot- I didn't like the forearm location, either. Jerry will take care of you- send that puppy back!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom