USIA Techniflex Pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O.M.O.H.:
The pockets that you have, is it a the "cargo" pocket the one that is included with the suit as standard equipment? Or is an optional type of a pocket.

Its just on the site cargo pockets look a bit different.

Those are the available zippered pockets. When I asked Jerry regarding pockets when I ordered my techniflex, he said you can get the cargo pocket (velcro), the zippered pocket, or a knife pocket all for the same cost.

Wolfie2012:
Those are the available zippered pockets. When I asked Jerry regarding pockets when I ordered my techniflex, he said you can get the cargo pocket (velcro), the zippered pocket, or a knife pocket all for the same cost.
Sweet :D

OMOH,

Sorry I missed your original question about the pockets. It looks like Wolfie answered that one. Regarding the superstretch thermals when I said they were way warm I meant that I loved how warm they were. I think they outperformed the Exotherm II thermals with regards to warmth and comfort. I would highly recommend them.

If you have any more questions let me know as I will try to keep a better eye on this thread.

Gillty

Gillty:
OMOH,

Sorry I missed your original question about the pockets. It looks like Wolfie answered that one. Regarding the superstretch thermals when I said they were way warm I meant that I loved how warm they were. I think they outperformed the Exotherm II thermals with regards to warmth and comfort. I would highly recommend them.

If you have any more questions let me know as I will try to keep a better eye on this thread.

Gillty
Hey thanks for your reply!

I am pretty much clear now on most of the options and features of the suit. One thing though, which ones are more expensive Exotherm II or super-stretch?
Thanks. Eugene

I believe the superstretch thermals are more expensive, but don't quote me on that.

I went with the exo II because with only one set of thermals, I planned on layering depending on the temp at the time. The exo II fit the high end of the temperature range I was looking for.

I have heard a lot of good things about the superstretch though. Your call really. What temps are you looking to dive with it? (though even recommendations based on temperature are subjective)

I dive in the puget sound with the Superstrech and they keep me plenty warm. Water temp the last time out was between 42 and 47 degrees F.

Did you go for the "loose" fit or the "fitted" fit? Just wondering cause the suit looks a bit baggy, at least in the pictures. Leaning towards a custom one of these myself, so I'm asking lots of questions. :)

I went with a custom fit but on the form you can specify loose or tight, I did the loose fit. In my picture I am wearing only the superstretch thermals, I also have a set of the farmer john style thermals that are very thick so I needed to size it for the thickest undergarments that I intended to wear with it.

By the way I have two family members that lived in Ketchikan for many years. How is the diving up there?

I think the diving up here is great! There's some really good walls a short drive from my house. Lots of rockfish, ling cod, anemones, urchins, nudibranchs, etc. Stellar's Sea Lions too... my regular dive buddy and I were treated to a sea lion show for an entire dive a couple of weeks ago. I'm waiting for him to get the video to me so I can put it up on YouTube.

I e-mailed Larry at USIA asking what fit I should go for.

The pockets on the suit in the pictures are actually optional ones, I have the exact same suit in the Horizontal front zip configuration. The suit comes with one low profile cargo pocket, this pocket lies very flat to the suit leg and closes cleanly. However, when it expands well to accomodate large items, my only complaint is that the opening cover on the pocket becomes a little less neat and clean when large objects are in the pocket. I would say get the one included cargo pocket and get one of the detachable pockets shown in the picture.

Also, I would like to say I think this is USIA's best suit to date. It is incredibly durable, the stretch of it provides is very nice and makes the suit very form fit and streamlined. Now that being said, unless you need an exceptionally easy suit to be able to self don and doff, I would consider getting only the back zip or diagonal front zip suits only. I feel like the horizontal front zip is the easiest suit to get in and out of on my own, but the extra suit bulk it creates on the upper body is not worth it.

After diving every drysuit entry available (5 different drysuits owned over 12 years of drysuit diving) I can tell you I've decided it will be all back zips with pee valves for me from now on.

Backzips are less expensive, more comfortable, andmore streamlined. (In my opinion) and come on, how many times are you in a position that you can't find someone to help you with the zipper, particularly if you have a pee valve.

Oh, one more thing, I'm not partial to the snake skin like "super fabric" the shiny stuff in the picture. I understand you could get those areas in cordura or kevlar instead.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom