useful dry suit tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SparkySFD once bubbled...
I dont know if I'd cut the suit. You can dump an extraordinary amount of air by breaking the neck seal.

By the time you decide to do it, get to your knife and then actually cut through a tough suit your screwed. And could have dumped all the air in the suit from the neck.

If I simply tuck my chin and flex my back muscles, that breaks the seal nicely, and sends a stream of water down my backbone as well.

Another option for me is to push up my right glove, grab the wrist seal, and vent air there. If you use dry gloves, this is not an option available to you however.

Emergency venting is a good drill to practice in a pool session, before you need to know how to do it in the open water.

The knife method is also in my opinion too slow and a bad idea.

Genesis' post reminded me of something else.

Funny story. The first time I was diving with Arnaud, as we start our very slow ascent, I see this guy do a half-roll to the right, and sort of wrap up on himself.

I'd never seen this move. I'm thinking, what, dude needs a hug? Whats the deal. Then I see his shoulder vent...but I mean really vent.

I sort of started doing the same move... "The Arnaud." I found that I get much more gas out of my suit that way. I dive with very little gas in my suit anyway, but I'm most comfortable with almost none in there on ascent... this half-roll self-love manuever provided a little extra blast to push out even more... I thought that was pretty trick. So I use The Arnaud on almost every ascent.

Of course, a week or two ago I learn that he just had a sticky shoulder dump...

:D

K

Mo2vation once bubbled...
...Of course, a week or two ago I learn that he just had a sticky shoulder dump...

The inflator valve was sticky. The dump valve was working well, too well, even.

cavanhills once bubbled...
Get a tube of KY jelly and apply it to your hands before passing them through the wrist seals - I've tried a few different products but nothing's as good as KY.
I just put a dab directly on the seals.
Bonus - it's latex friendly. :thumb:
And Gynecologist approved!

o When you fold your dry suit for storage or transportation (especially when wet) do it in a way that the zipper is folded out, not in. The little bit of air flow will help dry the inside. It will also prevent the zipper from being folded over on itself - a direction the zipper wasn't meant to naturally go.

o If you have a self donning zipper, zip the zipper closed a few inches before putting the suit on a hanger to dry &/or for storage. This should help take pressure off the more sensitive starting point of your zipper.

o Don't foster the reputation of being a 'gassy' diver. No one will want to help you unzip your suit! :wink:

o If you are a powder user, apply the powder so that it floats downwind away from other people. Contact lens wearers will greatly appreciate this simple gesture!

o Also, don't forget to use perfume free powder.

o There are many wicking fabrics. Wearing a shirt &/or long johns under your dry suit undies makes one (at least me!) more comfortable. It keeps the condensation moisture away from your body.

o Pretty obvious, but when pulling sleeves off don't do so by pulling on the seals.

o As a drysuit zipper ages small threads can develop. These can become potential leak points or harzardous to your zipper. Taking a lighter and CAREFULLY burning the loose threads should take care of the problem.

o Give your seals time to stretch before cutting them to larger openings. When / if you do have to cut a seal, make sure you only do a tiny portion at a time. Then give time for a bit more stretch. Also, make sure the cut is perfectly straight. Cut edges that are jagged tend to rip easier.

o If your undies have thumb holds to help you don the undies don't forget to remove it from your thumb. You don't want it messing with your wrist seal.

Pretty simple suggestions but perhaps they'll help someone.
Paula

After diving and cleaning your drysuit put a little talc (unscented) on the Neck and wrist seals. Keeps them from sticking together in a humid basement.

Take a drysuit course from an Instructor acredited in the Specialty. A drysuit is NOT just another passive piece of equipment you just put on & use like a pair of fins. It takes proper training to use it safely & effectively. You only need to read through some of the other threads in this forum about things like runaway feet-first ascents to get the idea.

Some other observations:

hantzu701:
*If you have latex seals, ****expect your dry suit to leak the first few times that you use it****.
Uh... no. If you have a leaky seal, chances are it doesn't fit, or something is compromising it like bulky clothing or really cordy wrists.

*Don't twist your neck when looking from side to side. Move your torso. This prevents leaks from the neck seal.
Actually it's looking UP that is the killer. Side to side shouldn't make any difference.

*Don't use your BC for buoyancy initially. Get comfortable with the process of adding air and venting the dry suit. Then, as you get used to the task loading, add the BC to fine tune your buoyancy.
It's all a matter of training & personal preference. My preference is to use only the suit u/w; others prefer to put just enough air in the suit to get rid of squeeze & the BC for buoyancy control. The only "right way" is the one that you can master.

*If you're in a serious runaway ascent, consider breaking your neck seal to vent gas.
This is a last resort because a flooded drysuit is VERY hard to control, not to mention the shock of the cold water. When you take the course there's a little thing called flaring that you learn.

*Use ankle weights. Personally, I didn't take that advice, but it seems to be recommended.
AKs are good to take some of the weight off your belt or if there is a big floaty-feet issue that all the air purging in the world doesn't seem to solve. Again, this is something that everyone needs to decide on their own.

Hantzsu, I don't want to come across like a hard*****, but there are way too many people taking way too many chances with drysuits.

Please, for your own good, take the course & learn to do it right!

Sorry.. getting off my soapbox now,:soapbox:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom