useful dry suit tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What the f*** is the SubMariner complaining about??? Give some advice and don't critisize others. If this stuff worked on others then it may help many more.

:)

Snowbear:
SubM's complaining? Where? All I see is concern for others' safety. OK - maybe comfort in the case of suit hickie syndrome:wink:

I also believe in the "use a drysuit for a drysuit and buoyancy control device for buoyancy control" school, but it is amazing how a little bit of extra air in the suit can be great for allowing the undies to do their job and keep me warm when things really start to get cold.

As to the dreaded dry suit hickies, well, the guys at work really didn't understand the one time that I came into work directly from diving. I hadn't heard of this trick to prevent that.

Zipper Wax and seal saver are money savers.

My zipper stays waxed and seal saver is applied once a month or so to my neck and wrist seals. I would hate to have to replace those seals early.

diver_paula:
o Give your seals time to stretch before cutting them to larger openings. When / if you do have to cut a seal, make sure you only do a tiny portion at a time. Then give time for a bit more stretch. Also, make sure the cut is perfectly straight. Cut edges that are jagged tend to rip easier.

Paula,

Great tip. I wish I had known this one when I first started diving dry. I trimmed my seals to fit out of the box and now I get a little wet at the neck and wrists and the seals feel too loose. Due for new seals at the end of the winter season.

Eric

jonnythan:
Keep your deflator cranked almost all the way down so your suit keeps a squeeze on you. It's a far far more pleasant feeling.

Actually, keeping is open is a safer method. I keep mine all the way open for the entire dive.

For the entry: It vents any remaining air trapped in the suit.
For the dive: It vents any possible overinflation.
For the ascent: It automatically vents the expanding air.

A fully open exhaust valve will hold enough pressure to take off the squeeze, and it will keep you from a runaway ascent by not letting you put too much gas in.

However, I use my wing for a bc, and my suit to stay dry. For those using the suit for a bc, you'll have to close the vent and remember to open it on the ascent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom