Used versus New: BCD+Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seriousdiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm currently shopping around for regulator/BCDS and I have a few options, I'd love some feedback if anyone has any...

Option 1: FREE, I have a family member that gets used BCDS and Regulators for Free all the time, quality and brand are questionable. I don't have the luxury of picking and choosing which ones to "accept" and he doesn't actually know anything about BCDS or Regs.

Option 2: Buy online NEW, I could get new stuff online over time, and save money versus buying it locally.

Option 3: LDS, I can get it at my local dive shop and it would be more expensive than getting it online but I'd love to support them.

It's really difficult to beat free, how many Regs/BCDS should I ask for in case some/most/all of them are duds?

I just finished the first class of 3 and then I'm going to the Caribbeans for my open water dives; I've dived before twice and loved it.

Part of me wants to buy new but I just am not sure if it's worth it compared to just getting a bunch of used parts for free... I do have a bit of a budget but would love to save money if possible.

If you're getting unknown gear used, be sure to have it serviced before use.

If you're getting unknown gear used, be sure to have it serviced before use.

Any idea how much it will cost to get it serviced? I'm almost thinking about just getting new to avoid the hassle of constantly getting it serviced if they're duds.

Hard to say. Reg are different. I currently dive almost 20-30 year old SP regs which will be considered "questionable quality" by my LDS:) if I ask their opinion.

You can post here and gurus of the forum can tell you if they are good.

A couple of weeks ago bigfoot-daisy has posted about a dozen of MK5 - 109 at a price of 75 per reg set IIRC. If you get a pair of those you will be set. I dive that set on my left post of the doubles.

Well, I bought my stuff new, but I'd probably take the free option if I could, and try a few of each. How does he get free stuff?

You need to get any used regulator serviced before you use it, especially if you don't know its history. Maybe you could get a few different free regulators, then come back to the boards and see if any of them are worth getting serviced. You can also find out which regulator models your local dive shops can service, although they'll probably push hard on you to buy a new one.

The BCD fit is very important, so I wouldn't buy one of those on the internet. Either try some free used ones or buy one at the LDS and have it custom fitted. It shouldn't be too hard to find a BCD that's still in practically new condition.

There's nothing wrong with renting regulators and BCDs for a little while, while you get it figured out.

Any idea how much it will cost to get it serviced? I'm almost thinking about just getting new to avoid the hassle of constantly getting it serviced if they're duds.

Well before you buy you want to make sure you *can* get it serviced.

Same applies if you get new. Make sure any gear you buy can be serviced locally.

Well before you buy you want to make sure you *can* get it serviced.

Same applies if you get new. Make sure any gear you buy can be serviced locally.

Good points.

I think I might just get him to give me a dozen or so of each and if all of them are duds I'll just give them to my LDS and buy new.

He gets them in auctions every now and then as part of bundles of random stuff.

Part of me just wants to buy new and not deal with the hassle of bringing them to a LDS to get serviced, would get kind of embarrassing if none of them work.

explore option 1
why not post the free stuff that you can get here.. i'm sure lots of people can tell you which ones are good or not

If someone is willing to give you some free stuff take it. In my experience used regulators are not like used cars, you get them serviced when you first buy them and they will be good to go for at least a year before needing to be serviced again (same as with new)

Check with your LDS to see if there is a promotion for trading in old equipment and getting a discount on the new toys. Sounds like you don't want the hassle and embarrassment of unserviceable equipment. Just keep in mind you should service your regulators 1st and 2nd stages, octo, bcd, etc annually. Some manufactures offer free life time parts when you have your regs serviced annually. Check with your local LDS to see what is available. Also ask if they will price match online stores, you might find a LDS who would be willing to do it.

There is also option #4 sell the free stuff, make $$$ and execute option #2 J

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom