Used versus New: BCD+Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wheather the "free" gear is usable depends on a lot. Age, brand and your motivation all make a difference. Pretty much all US Divers (Aqualung) gear is easily servicable, same goes for Scubapro. Now some dealers will tell you otherwise but fact is, IF the tech wants to, most all USD/AL and SP service parts are easy to get although an "official" service kit might not be. Most other brand names that you can currently buy can also be serviced but again it depends on the motivation of the shop/tech. The older brands like Dacor, Healthways and Sportways that are no longer around can be a problem but even most of those can be serviced IF the tech is willing.

BCs are fairly easy, either they inflate and hold air or they don't. If they don't, odds are it's an easy fix. Inflators are fairly generic and easy to replace. You might not have the latest and greatest whiz bang BC but if it inflates, deflates and holds are for an hour or 2, it will work.

IMO, take option 1, several times if you can, then pick the best of the bunch and go from there. Post photos of what you have here, it's fairly easy to tell you what is worth servicing and what is best sold. Worst case, you end up selling it for parts on ebay and making a few bucks to spend on new gear.

There is also option 4 which is likely the best of the bunch. Keep an eye on the local sales adds like Craigslist. Many times fairly new gear can be had for a considerable savings.

Bc: take the free! Get a couple and keep the one you like.

Regs: get a (free set) brand your LDS services. With all the basic gauges. Then go to LDS with regs and get'em to drop in a new computer and service. While yer there tell you want a new 2nd stage you can trust cause free is just too good to be true. Everyone's happy.

Send me some free stuff!!!

Send me some free stuff!!!

Pfft when I get good at spotting the serviceable stuff I'll be sure to sell it.

The only reason he has so much scuba stuff is there are very few auction hunters that specialize in that around here. He doesn't bother selling the stuff because it's a waste of his time.

Another man's trash is another man's trash and is my treasure?!

I think I might go with the option of selling all his stuff and then buying a brand new BCD/Reg, I'm not a huge fan of using old gear for any of my hobbies.

Free dive gear..cool! You can always upgrade later as finances dictate. Regs typically run about 50 bucks per stage to have serviced. 1 first and 2 seconds, about $150. BC can be checked out at the same time by a diveshop.

Do not compare SCUBA to other hobbies. Some of the older stuff in SCUBA is as good or even better than what they maje now. This is especially teue of the regulators. Search for Scubapro D series, AIR 1 Pilot conshelf, US Divers Royal Aquamaster and you will understand why people recommend going for used stuff. Some of those great regs you just cannot buy new anymore :)

Last edited:
Where is your family member getting the items for free? This may be a clue about the condition of the items. As far as regulators go almost anything from a currently in business manufacturer made in the 80's or newer can be serviced. Herman already mentioned Aqualung (AKA US Divers) and Scubapro but don't discount Oceanic and Sherwood either. Again as mentioned either a BC holds air or not. If it doesn't it could be the inflator the exhaust valves or a hole. This is easy to check, hold the BC in the water while inflating it and see where the bubbles are coming from. But get everything checked.

If any of the free stuff is the same make as what your LDS sells / services then you are quids in.

Best option to save money and as you have also said perhaps you can make some additional cash to buy other gear by selling the other regs etc., but make sure you have the regs serviced before selling them.

I bought all my gear new at first. Recently I purchased a used ScubaPro reg for my pony and "used" but never underwater dive computer. You can save a fair amount of money buying high quality lightly used gear at less than 1/2 of new. I'm thinking of selling my perfectly good Seaquest Balance BC since I've moved to a BP/W and it pains me to see how little I'll probably get for it and what a buy it will be.

It's nice to get all new gear but after being underwater once it is now used also.

Back
Top Bottom