Used TillyTec 35W vs new Darkbuster 24W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MattiasA

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I know I'm probaby starting the gazillionth thread on "buying my first light" but I need your help anyway :wink:

I'm a reasonably new diver (1 year/PADI Rescue), spending most my time in the cold and murky waters in Sweden, meaning mostly old wrecks and below 10m visibility. Gear setup is still single tank/wing jacket and I have so far never dived anything but drysuit.

Now, I have realized I need a proper light and at the moment I'm stuck at two options roughly at the same price:

1. New Brightstar Darkbuster 24W HID
2. Second Hand TillyTec 35W HID with TT2 battery pack (handheld)

The DB seems to get pretty good reviews (a lot of bang for the buck) and it seems rather sturdy despite the plastic exterior.

The Tilly on the other hand is well known, modular and I can add the cable to attach the battery on my back instead. Not sure I'll go that way, but the option is nice.

The problem is that I have no possibility to check the Tilly hands on as it's located quite far away, but the seller is a very active member in the local diveclub where he comes from. Truthfully, I wouldn't know really what to check on a used light anyway :wink:

I was more or less set on the DB, but now I'm waivering.
Is the Tilly the better choice and what questions should I ask the seller (apart from the obvious age/batterylife/overall condition)?

Any and all thoughts are more than welcome.

Last edited:
TillyTec makes a good light, as long as it has never been flooded and the batteries don't need to be replaced it would be the one I would get.

TillyTec makes a good light, as long as it has never been flooded and the batteries don't need to be replaced it would be the one I would get.

I know this thread is a little bit old, but do you have one of our light which was flooded? And may I ask what was the reason for this?
Normally it wont flood because we are using three O-rings for sealing.

Regards

TillyTec USA

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom