Question HID lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I might be getting an HID can light (second hand), but still have a couple of questions about them, so hoping for some help:

1) Is it difficult to get an HID in SM config (cord length and lid)? As I understand they were mainly manufactured with the cord coming vertically from the lid, so I would have to find an HID with an EO connector and then buy the battery separately?
2) When looking around at something like LM 15-35W HID, I see two types of pictures a) with a nice cylindrical body b) with a body that has a chunky rectangular part at the back (see pics). So which one is it? Are they different models (newer vs older) or just incorrect pics on sellers websites?
View attachment 763132View attachment 763133
3) I read that sometimes you can see tiny flickering in the light (because of the wire in the lightbulb). Is it something that gets super noticeable? Is it frequent?
4) LM sells extra bulbs at 275$, but does anyone know if they are reselling some generic light bulbs that I might be able to get somewhere else for much cheaper (like a car parts store) or is it a unique diving-specific bulb?
5) Besides requiring more care when handled, not having different power setting options, are there any other quirks worth noting?

_______

P.S. If anyone has an extra 35W HID light they might be willing to part with in April/May, let me know also :)

Here are my answers:
1) For SM, you probably need a side gland and longer cord than what is used for BM. This is typically done by getting a new cap for the canister that has the gland mounted sideways and a longer cord installed. LM does this, it's called a 'sidemount conversion' and it's a couple hundred dollars at least. It does mean that the light head is either side gland or top gland. To be able to interchange the same light head, you need E/O connector.

2) The older style lights had the ballast in the canister cap. This meant that much higher voltage went through the cord, which eventually caused problems. The newer light heads put the ballast in the light head which makes them a little more bulky but cuts down on the voltage in the cord. They are considered more reliable.

3) Flickering in the lightbulb usually means something is going bad in the canister. The bulbs are actually very reliable and long lasting if you don't break them. The ballasts are usually the problem when these lights fail. It's getting more difficult to find replacement ballasts. That's what sent me to get a LED replacement for my LM HID light. I didn't like it nearly as much, BTW, and sold it a few months later.

4) I don't enough about the specific bulbs to give you and answer, but you can't just buy an automotive bulb, there's something in the base (I think) that's different. There are color temperature issues too.

5) One quirk is the on/off cool down period. If you turn the light on, you should allow it to stay on and warm up; same for turning it off, allow it to cool down. Another issue is the bulk; the light heads, and sometimes the canisters, are just bigger. To me this is fine, especially in BM when I wasn't wearing a helmet, I didn't mind the feel of the light in my hand, and hip mounting the canister basically meant the size didn't matter. In SM, a big canister on your butt can be a little uncomfortable, and it's handy to be able to stick a small light head on your helmet. The bigger HID light head doesn't fit as well on the helmet. Usually it's only on there for a few minutes while you're taking notes or doing some line work, but still it's something to think about.

I miss my HID light, I would like to have one for BM diving. The light quality, focus, and color is still the best. That's an opinion, these things are subjective. But they're stressful to travel with and overall less convenient over a long period of time. If you can find one used at a really good price, you won't regret having it as long as you understand the good/bad.

and while the concept of being able to plug/unplug them to swap heads/batteries/heaters whatever is nifty it's not what I would deem practical.
That was basically my idea, start with a cheaper hid version and then swap heads. I am not mentally ready yet to spend 2$k+ on a light..

I will get a chance to try one in Feb/March, and will decide if its worth all the hussle or just go with a cheap bigblue

That was basically my idea, start with a cheaper hid version and then swap heads. I am not mentally ready yet to spend 2$k+ on a light..

I will get a chance to try one in Feb/March, and will decide if its worth all the hussle or just go with a cheap bigblue
Friends don't let friends buy Big Blue after they almost killed one of mine due to gross negligence. Either way, spending $2k on a light isn't the right call for you right now but the problem is if you go down the HID route now and get a new head you'll be in it for almost $2k when you're done and will have an inferior product vs. a new canister. If you go down something like the LX20+ route and then get a canister down the road you'll be at $2500 but you'll have a wicked handheld light that is more than bright enough and burns more than long enough for 99% of dives being conducted in the world, and that includes 99% of cave dives being conducted. Going down the HID route is just a recipe to spend too much money. If you want a cheap canister to say you have a canister then the @OrcaTorch D630 is where I would put my money, but that's only if you really feel you need a canister light. The LX20+ is going to be the ideal choice IMO.

I think it was you who at some point posted a chart of power (lumen?) drop off for bigblue lights. Do you know if there is a similar chart for lx20+? Would be interested to see a comparison

I think it was you who at some point posted a chart of power (lumen?) drop off for bigblue lights. Do you know if there is a similar chart for lx20+? Would be interested to see a comparison
only for it's older brother the LX20, the 20+ has the same characteristics, just more power.

He hates big blue lights and has posted about them almost killing his friend about a hundred times. That was a canister light that no longer is made, BTW, so take it with a grain of salt. I've been using one of their handheld lights for about two years and it's ok. It provides a LOT of light for the money, the color and spot are good IMO. They're not the highest quality lights out there but they do the job and I've had one interaction with the company in which they promptly replaced a battery because the burn time had degraded. I've read a few accounts of them flooding, but I haven't had any problems.

It's best to try lights in the water before buying one. If you really can't do that, get something fairly inexpensive that you could turn around and sell, because it's likely you'll find something else you like better. It also seems like the technology gets better and every few months there's a new light on the market.

Is LED better than HID? In most cases yes.

Is HID completely capable? Absolutely.

HID delivers. It has limitations just like any other piece of gear. Know those limitations and go about your life. When (if) you out grow it you’ll know. You might not. Honestly, you probably won’t.

He hates big blue lights and has posted about them almost killing his friend about a hundred times. That was a canister light that no longer is made, BTW, so take it with a grain of salt. I've been using one of their handheld lights for about two years and it's ok. It provides a LOT of light for the money, the color and spot are good IMO. They're not the highest quality lights out there but they do the job and I've had one interaction with the company in which they promptly replaced a battery because the burn time had degraded. I've read a few accounts of them flooding, but I haven't had any problems.

It's best to try lights in the water before buying one. If you really can't do that, get something fairly inexpensive that you could turn around and sell, because it's likely you'll find something else you like better. It also seems like the technology gets better and every few months there's a new light on the market.
That website was super helpful We Test Lights | LX20 Test and Review

It basically shows that bigblues quickly go to 1000-1500lumens, which is the same luminosity as LX20. So instead of getting an LX20, I will go for a dirt cheap second-hand bigblue (provided hid doesnt work out).

I dont see a reason to get a mid price range light; either get the cheapest hand held light, or top of the line uwld (for which i absolutely love how small the light head is)

It's not about quality of the light, it's about quality of the company, they continue to misrepresent what their products are capable of doing and I just can't get behind that. I have probably 3 of their handheld single 18650 lights from before that debacle and I haven't gotten rid of them because they actually work reasonably well for what they are, I just can't get behind a company that did what they did. If it was a freak accident it would be one thing but it wasn't.

Also it's probably like 200 times by now :p though I try to only do it when threads like this come up.

bring back the 50w halogen bulb.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom