Old HID lamp conversion to LED

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JuLe

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I received an old HID diving light along with some other kit that I bought some time ago.

As the lamp has no bulb in it, it does not work and I'm not interested in buying a new HID bulb for it.

I like to tinker with, modify and repair all kinds of stuff and I was thinking of giving the light a new life by doing a conversion to LED...

I found a couple of older threads where someone had made their own LED light, but those didn't exactly go with what I'm aiming at.

I am looking for a suitable LED unit, something like 4000 lumens that I could rig into the light. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Note that I recently upgraded my halcyon head

1710948881797.png

with what's supposed to be a Archos wh16 head with a xhp50.2 LED, seems that from the choice of this guy who is pretty a great lamp knowledged guy its a good/present in the market/affordable choice.

But ignore more about the topic, am very happy with the change!

I received an old HID diving light along with some other kit that I bought some time ago.

As the lamp has no bulb in it, it does not work and I'm not interested in buying a new HID bulb for it.

I like to tinker with, modify and repair all kinds of stuff and I was thinking of giving the light a new life by doing a conversion to LED...

I found a couple of older threads where someone had made their own LED light, but those didn't exactly go with what I'm aiming at.

I am looking for a suitable LED unit, something like 4000 lumens that I could rig into the light. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
4000 lumens (actual lumens not chinese marketing lumens) is absolutely massive and at least 5 or more Cree XPLs https://downloads.cree-led.com/files/ds/x/XLamp-XPL.pdf

You are going to need to design a considerable heat sink for these, and a way to focus the beam.

hey, you might add here what's your powering unit caracteristics... voltage / amps/h, batteries type etc...
Oh, yes. The old lamp runs on 8 C-cell batteries, but using the same is not really necessary. The space for those batteries could easily be fitted to take in something rechargeable.
I'm really just looking for ideas how to start this little project. Most likely I'll end up keeping nothing more of the old light except the casing.

It's a Underwater Kinetics light cannon.
I really don't NEED the light, but I am interested in seeing if I can do this conversion and end up with something that works...
Thank you for the link, looks like a very useful page.

the siplest and most efficien way is to reverse led as Light Cannon eLED (L1)

It maybe look akward but it is not. You just need gentle grinding ( not drilling ) , put sealed screw through front glass and install current driver instead of HID circuit .
Of course you have to set top of screw with led in parabola focus.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom