Used tanks.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

on_two_wheels

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
VERY new to the sport and picking up my own gear as I go. How risky is it to buy used tanks? It's recently been inspected and tagged.

Depends. If it's a aluminum tank made before the late 80's, you'll probably encounter many dive shops that will refuse to fill the tank.

Only one risk I can think of. An aluminum tank can have current hydro and VIP, but some operators will not fill it, if it is made (I believe) in 1989 or earlier. Perhaps a dozen of this type suffered catastrophic failure. Some dive shops are afraid to fill what might be that next one-in-a-million exploding tank. This is becoming standard folklore in Florida.

Basically good to go. Add five years to the most recent hydrostatic test date. That's when it needs hydro again. That costs anywhere from $15 to $40. A "fresh" hydro is valuable. You get the idea.

So if it's only a few to say 5 years old, I'm definitely good to go?

Yes, it's good to go.....August '88 is the magic date........do a search here, you'll find out......

Besides what the rest have said, cost is another big factor. A hydro and vis will cost you $30-40. In addition, the dive shops around here "give" you 10 fills with the purchase of an AL-80. At $5 each that's $50. So your already in the tank for $80-90, if you pay $50 for the tank your about even with a new tank. IMO, anything more than $20-25 is too much, esp since it is possible that the tank will not pass hydro and you have a large paperweight. So, $20-25 for a post 88 tank that looks OK, fine....$30-35 WITH current vis and recent hydro, otherwise buy new.

I have 9 tanks, and 2 more should be on their way here in the next week. I've bought 1 new tank out of that group. Like others have said, if it's a fairly new aluminum tank, and passes hydro and vis, no prob. If it's steel, and passes hydro and vis no matter how old it is, I'd have no trouble buying it if the price was right.

Only one risk I can think of. An aluminum tank can have current hydro and VIP, but some operators will not fill it, if it is made (I believe) in 1989 or earlier. Perhaps a dozen of this type suffered catastrophic failure. Some dive shops are afraid to fill what might be that next one-in-a-million exploding tank. This is becoming standard folklore in Florida.

Obviously you are not the one running the compressor.

The explosion at Force e and the kid who lost his hand was no folklore. A few people saving a few bucks on old a-- tanks are not worth anyone getting killed/injured.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom