Used Scuba Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The MK15 is an excellent balanced first stage.vThere will be service kits for those SP regs available for a looong time on the open market. They even make aftermarket parts now for the older MK5 & MK10 first stages and R109 second stages, one of my favorite regs. Everything in those regs are standard size o rings, exhaust velves and lp seats. The non standard size parts like hp seats are easily sourced online. They even make aftermarket exhaust T's and diaphragms and diaphragm covers out of modern silicone to replace the old rubber ones. They are very popular regs and I think people will still be diving with them for many years.
Vintagedoublehose.com sells rebuild kits for many single and double hose regs. They even manufacture a new double hose reg called the Kraken. As long as there are people that want it they will be available. Vintage diving has become a popular hobby. Of course most dive shops will tell you that stuff is garbage and will kill you. They are almost as bad as car dealerships when it comes to selling.

I figure this is a good place to start a friend has a scubapro mk15 in excellent shape but someone told me that scubapro was going to stop producing service kits for some regulators like the mk10 and others they consider as antiques I guess the price is right for this mk15 and I could use for a spare reg for me or my granddaughter. Thoughts

I like the MK15 and would consider buying another one, but I have several seats and bushings for them. If I did not have parts I'd be a bit cautious because it's likely that the MK15 will be the first of the SP balanced piston first stages to be problematic finding parts for. It has a unique seat and bushings, where the MK5/10 share seats and there are so many of them around that rebuild kits will always be easy to find.

The other issue with the MK15 is that it had a fairly serious recall for the HP seat retainer. Originally it had an externally adjustable IP that was causing problems. If the one your friend has was never converted, you would need to find a conversion kit. That might not be too easy, but most of the ones I've encountered had the recall done. If you can post a photo of it showing the bottom of the HP end of the reg (opposite from the LP ports) it's very easy to see.

Depending on what kind of 2nd stage it comes with, it could be a really excellent regulator. You just have to find someone that knows how to service it and has access to parts. If you don't want it, I might be interested in buying it from your friend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom