Use Nose plugs or is there a bigger issue?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Using a nose clip inside the mask is an old technique and as far as I know it was widely used in Europe and Australia from the 1940s to the 1960s.
Raimondo Bucher, the first freediving record holder (1949), employed noseclip inside the mask for all his life (he was also a great scuba diver, capable of reaching 100m). To the best of what I know, he was also the first to use this "trick" in the 1930s.
There are no major obstacles to equalize the mask as is often mistakenly believed and it is also possible without difficulty to empty the mask, as shown by Hans Hass in this excerpt from the film "Unternehmen Xarifa"

where to increase the flow of air from one nostril, even in the presence of a spring noseclip, Hass seems to pull the skin of the cheekbone outwards by pressing with the index finger, this moves the nose to the side, completely freeing one nostril: thus blowing air from the nose, in a few moments the mask is free from the water.
I tried this "maneuver" with an old spring clip and it works. With swimming pool nose clips there is no need for this maneuver, because they tighten a little and the air always comes out without any difficulty.
I have been using the nose clip under the mask since 2019 and I will never intend to do without it again; from my point of view, if one knows how to use it, there are only advantages including hands-free equalization.

Over the years this technique has been forgotten, but there are still old photos or even movies (besides those of Hass) where divers with noseclip are present, like this little jewel by Aldo Victor De Sanctis: "Adventures in Lipari" (1962), where the scuba diver who performs in the finale an aquatic dance evidently wears a nose clip inside the mask for hands-free equalization, as her hands are busy waving two flags.

Attachments

• 03_mysterious_lady.png
    03_mysterious_lady.png
    258.9 KB · Views: 280
That is the minor issue. The major one would be as you descend to greater depths, the air space in the mask will suck your eyeballs out of your head.
I apologize, but I have to contradict you because this is false: in practice with every nose clip, it is possible to equalize the mask, as already said by John Ratliff and in reality with most of those currently existing noseclips (i.e. for swimming) there is no need to wear them in a particular way, because they allow the escape of air without major obstacles.
Basically it is possible to reach any depth with the nose clip in the mask. Dozens of testimonials can be produced.

Other interesting images:
1) cover of German Magazine "Poseidon" jul,1964;
2) Dawn Addams during the shooting of "Rommel's Treasure" (1955);
3) Luciana Civico, photographed by Raimondo Bucher, appearing in "Una vita in fondo al mare" (1984);
4)another frame of finale of "Avventure a Lipari" (1962);
5) Swedish Military Divers (1956) "Kustjagarna";
6) a diver of Hass group at the laying of the first "Christ of the Abyss"(1954) at San Fruttoso,Italy;
7) Page 10 of The "Blue Book of underwater swimming " by Siebe-Heinke, 1962. Evidently, many British divers considered the nose clip to be a standard part of equipment at the time.
8) Australian diver ('50?'60?) with Undersee bazooka speargun.

Attachments

• poseidon_1964_31.jpg
    poseidon_1964_31.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 112
  • 49403666_133370574350097_3442460212374536192_n.jpg
    49403666_133370574350097_3442460212374536192_n.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 100
  • luciana_civico_nc.jpg
    luciana_civico_nc.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 89
  • 01_mysterious_lady_2.png
    01_mysterious_lady_2.png
    404.5 KB · Views: 90
  • 00780886.jpg
    00780886.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 85
  • gettyimages-50392389-1024x1024.jpg
    gettyimages-50392389-1024x1024.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 85
  • blue_book-10.jpg
    blue_book-10.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 131
  • australian_diver.jpg
    australian_diver.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 115
The OP @Tournesol2000 has not been in the thread since the day he first posted it.

I was recently on a liveaboard with a diver who described the same problem. He had tried all kinds of masks with no improvement. He described himself as a nose breather, not sure exactly what that is. He switched to a full-face mask on this trip and all problems were solved. He was extremely happy with the change, OTS Spectrum in this case.

Thanks all for your input and advice. It is appreciated. I think I will just need to practice more in a pool now that summer is approaching. Not being able to dive frequently does not help me, but all input has given me a lot of knowledge and knowing I could use noseplugs as a last resort will be comforting.
I like the idea of a full face mask as well but I would consider that a last resort and a little over my budget, but @scubadada, that is a smart solution.

If I'm not mistaken, in scuba diving, the use of a Full Face Mask requires further certification, i.e:

That said, I agree that FFM is generally a good idea, but unfortunately they are usually VERY expensive ...

If I'm not mistaken, in scuba diving, the use of a Full Face Mask requires further certification, i.e:

Not required, offered.

Dealing with an out of gas situation sounds interesting. Remove full face mask, take offered regulator, place backup regular mask that you are carrying.

Interesting, I've never heard of this technique. Have you tried either of the products you linked, by chance?
To be fair, I've only tried (inside a dive mask): common swimming pool nose clips, and two types of "old school" spring nose clips.
I have never tried neither the Libresub nor the FreeXperience Mini noseclip, so I can't say anything about these products.
On social media there are some enthusiasts of the Libresub and there are at least these videos around:

Back
Top Bottom