USD Pro Diver--info from the source, and not all of it good

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moogyboy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
This from Todd Anderson at Aqua Lung:

Hello William, I will try to answer your questions for you.

The Pro-Diver regulator is a Balanced Diaphragm 1st stage.
No longer supported.
Application: High end High Performance model.
No similarities to any current model.
No manuals available.

I hope that answers your questions. Let me know if you have any others.

That third line has me worried. Isn't Aqua Lung supposed to be very good about supporting their out-of-production regulators, at least up to a certain age? They still supply parts for 20-30 year old regs from what I'm told...is it possible that this particular model is a rare orphan for them, a truly obsolete reg? *groan* Apparently this is otherwise a real nice one, and I already mentioned that it breathes beautifully. What a shame if I can't get it serviced. :( I suppose that I can always assume that the second stage is essentially a conshelf/SE2 type and try to find a more common and easily serviceable first stage.

cheers

Billy S.

That was quick...here is Todd's reply to my question on parts:

I understand your concerns. We no longer provide complete service parts for the Pro-Diver 1st stage because we do not have all the parts necessary to perform a annual service. Since we don't have all the parts needed the service cannot be performed safely. The 2nd stage can still be serviced with the service kit for the SE2 2nd stage. The SE2 2nd stage and the Pro Diver 2nd stage are almost identical. I recommend replacing the first stage with something more current that will have parts availability.

So I was right...the Pro Diver 1st stage is obsolete, and I need to find another 1st. $#!tfire! >:O

Any opinions on what USD/Aqua Lung 1st stages I should look for? I know a bit about Scubapro's line, but am hazy on USD's except that one of the roman-numeraled Conshelf regs seems to get mentioned a lot.

cheers

Billy S.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom