US State Department Issues Honduras Travel Advisory & Reality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don,
The point is that there are ALREADY several threads regarding this subject. Many of them with posts by people who LIVE in HONDURAS as well as people who are visiting RIGHT NOW. I take their opinion as to what is going on much higher than you do apparently. Many people who regularly visit CCV resort have phone contact with people on the island of Roatan daily, so they are giving us day-to-day updates. Same goes for residents of Utila. Read the threads before you start saying people don't know what is going on...

Looks like things could get ugly:

World Bank 'pauses' loans to Honduras - Zoellick

"The World Bank has "paused" all lending for development programs to Honduras following a military coup, World Bank President Robert Zoellick said on Tuesday."

Honduras Gets Ultimatum From American Nations

"The Organization of American States gave Honduras three days Wednesday to restore the deposed president, Manuel Zelaya, or face suspension, as the interim leader of the country defied international condemnation of the coup that led to his appointment and said only force could unseat him."

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

I have merged the threads on the same topic

While Roatan is definately a bit removed from Honduras, this is a serious situation. A government has been overthrown.

This statement is false. The government was not overthrown. The congress of this nation took action against a president that is attempting overthrow the constitution. Zelaya was trying to ram a referendum through that would eliminate term limits. Chavez is the instigator here. Muy malo hombre.

I spoke to Ray yesterday,the owner of Sueno del Mar Resort,and he told me that Roatan is not affected by the political turmoil and no one have cancell their trips to his hotel.No panicky tourists/divers rushing to get out of Roatan!There are no army personnel on the streets nor any strikes or curfew imposed in Roatan.The cruise ships too have not cancel .That is yesterday...and he is confident Roatan will be business as usual.I will be arriving with my family this Friday for a week of diving.....

Chicken Little??
Who - the State Department...? :confused:
Don,
The point is that there are ALREADY several threads regarding this subject. Many of them with posts by people who LIVE in HONDURAS as well as people who are visiting RIGHT NOW. I take their opinion as to what is going on much higher than you do apparently. Many people who regularly visit CCV resort have phone contact with people on the island of Roatan daily, so they are giving us day-to-day updates. Same goes for residents of Utila. Read the threads before you start saying people don't know what is going on...
I looked here on the main Cent Amer forum before posting: None, still no others. But if you feel it is indeed redundant, the Report button is there for good reason. Don't be shy.

Ooops, I just got a PM from a nice Mod who advised that my thread had been merged with another here on Cent Amer. I think it was originally on Bay Islands? Or I could be wrong. If there was another one here already on Cent Amer, I missed it and the above posters missed an opportunity to link to it.

After I posted this here for those who think to look on the Cent Amer forum for new on Cent Amer, I did then look at the Bay Islands forum. There I saw some threads being met with the usual "come on down the water is fine" from those with self serving interests, opposition to reasonable attempts at discussion, the usual expected. Sad.

As far as whats' coming out of CCV: I wouldn't believe anything from that brain washed mini-republic anyway, but thanks. I have compared reality to reports from CCV enough to disbelieve anything I hear from there until confirmed at another source.
I spoke to Ray yesterday,the owner of Sueno del Mar Resort,and he told me that Roatan is not affected by the political turmoil and no one have cancell their trips to his hotel.No panicky tourists/divers rushing to get out of Roatan!There are no army personnel on the streets nor any strikes or curfew imposed in Roatan.The cruise ships too have not cancel .That is yesterday...and he is confident Roatan will be business as usual.I will be arriving with my family this Friday for a week of diving.....
You know, it's probly fine - but would you expect a business there to say otherwise?

I'll be arriving tomorrow...will let you all know. If you don't hear from me...call the military!!!

P.S. Don, I am a Fantasy Island fanatic - right across the channel from CCV. But I promise to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth!

I'll be arriving tomorrow...will let you all know. If you don't hear from me...call the military!!!

P.S. Don, I am a Fantasy Island fanatic - right across the channel from CCV. But I promise to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth!
I bet it's fine, especially on the secured cays! I wish I was arriving tomorrow. I do hope you registered with the State Department web site this time tho. Weird things have been known to happen in Cent Amer, and they kinda like to know where the US citizens are.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom