US Passport expires March 26, 2016 and leaving for Cozumel 11/28/15

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divernoob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I'm reading that Mexico requires that your passport be valid for 6 months beyond your visit. Is there a way around this? Any hints or tips?

Contact the Mexican embassy.

Expedite a replacement. Lots of services do this.

Yes, as Jax mentioned, contact the Mexican Consulate. If Mexican authorities confirm that you need to renew your passport before your trip, your recourse is to use one of those expedited passport services. From what I've heard, those services can be expensive.

-AZTinman

Thanks for the replies. Lots of good info in existing threads already, too. Search is my friend. Duh.:doh:

I've never sneaked into Mexico by air I have done it by car but the airport would be more difficult as most airports funnel you to immigration very effectively.

I'd probably expedite it. Not sure I want to go on vacation and have problems I could prevent.

I am currently booking a carnival cruise and the rep said I don't need a passport if I have a birth cert and a drivers license. That may only apply to the cruise ship andnot if you are flying there.

Like already said I would expedite it for another 50 bucks and get it over with. You can always take a drive to a center and just get it there while you wait.

you can go by cruise ship without a passport but by air you need one. i would suggest getting expedited. most countries require 6 months on your passport.

Just a word of caution... The airlines are generally stuck with returning passengers that aren't admitted into a foreign country. As a result, regardless of what an Embassy might tell you, ultimately, it's the airline that will stop you from boarding the plane. And they won't budge. I know... it happened to me.

I was 9 days short of the six month requirements, and they wouldn't let me on the plane to go to Roatan. And, I know for a fact that at that time (this was about 10 years ago), the Honduran folks would have been fine with it as it wasn't a rule that was yet engraved in stone. I still don't understand why it's a requirement... Are there really that many people that go on a week-long vacation and decide to stay for 6 months???

Anyway, get yourself a new passport. In Canada, we can get one in 24 hours if required. It WILL save you a world of hurt...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom