US Divers UDS-1 system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello John and Sam thanks for the info.Hello Sam I am sorry about your eviction from one of the other lame ass sites.Your not the first to be kicked off either site.There are many on this site.But it's great you are on this one.It's funny how so many of their patrons are over on this site.I guess they can't say how they feel about the others two lame ass sites.You have to kiss the fat mans and skinny mans ass.I mean the fat man and witches ass now.I don't kiss any ass.You have to play by their rules but they don't have to.I really hate both of those loooser!Can you tell?What me angry?

Last edited:
Hello John and Sam thanks for the info...
Actually, I'd kinda like to focus on the UDS-1. I received my tanks today, unhydroed because the testing facility my LDS uses doesn't have the adapter for doing an eddie current test on these tanks.

SeaRat

Hi John,
I just picked up a UDS 1 unit and would like a pdf of the service manual if you have it. Could you also post a pic of the filler assembly and harness (if possible). Mine is missing some hoses etc... and I am having a hard time visualizing that part of it. Lot's of questions to follow I'm sure. With any luck we may be able to do a buddy dive at Edmonds using UDS's one day.

Btw, I watched an ebay action just end yesterday for one. It was $500 till 10 seconds left and then the price jumped to $1500+.

Wow, $1500 for the UDS-1. When it went to $500 I could not justify it (I already have one). I'd love to dive with both UDS-1 units at Edmonds sometime. We'd get quite a few comments with that configuration.

SeaRat

I remember the USD system for sale in the dive shop where I took my BOW lessons (they also had a Divator.) I've never had the opportunity to dive a unit like that, so I'm curious about the hydrodynamic characteristics of those shell type systems. Do the shells offer any real/noticeable drag advantages? Never-the-less, the cool factor is very high.

Thanks,

Couv

I do not think the shell helps the hydrodynamics much if any. The lower profile of the tanks in these systems will help as well as making them a good bailout system for confined spaces. I did take two of the tanks from my old system and used them for a small set of doubles that work great for surf entry shallow dives.

Attachments

• IMG_1952.jpg
    IMG_1952.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_1953.jpg
    IMG_1953.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 83
Hydrodynamic drag is a function of the velocity squared. Since the velocity of a diver is relatively slow, the drag reduction of a streamlined fairing has a limited effect (unless you are being towed behind a scooter or something similar).

What can be more noticeable is the increase in inertia due increase in mass. Any mass increase can become very noticeable and in this case the water inside the shell is mass that we are moving with us.

The extra mass would not mater if the diver was moving at a constant speed (like behind a scooter), but normally when we are diving our speed is always changing.

When diving double tanks some divers are under the impression that they feel the extra drag, when in reality what they are most likely feeling is actually the extra inertia.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom