US Divers UDS-1 system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm pretty sure this is not the manifold from a UDS-1. John Ratliff's photos in this thread show part of one, and it is able to be broken down into several pieces. If I'm wrong, then I'd love to know it, as I'm interested in UDS-1 systems, and I wasn't aware that they used different styles of manifolds.

Finally, the manifold in your picture looks very nice. It would make a cool triple tank setup with an external first stage/ second stage. If it's not from a UDS-1, does anyone know if it was used with a similar plastic shroud enclosure?

It is definitely not UDS-1. It is from a later system.

That manifold is for standard 3/4” NPS tanks like the AL 40 or AL 30.

The UDS-1 used 1” NPS threads which are very unusual and tanks for it are not available.

It was available with or without a plastic shell setup. There is another threads with pictures of the ABS system with the shell.

The manifold was intended to be used on the top as opposed t the UDS-1 which had the manifold on the bottom.

That setup was around in the 80’s.

That manifold is from an ABS (Advanced breathing system) from the mid 80's. It is for 3- 30 cf tanks (I have one complete except the backpack and straps).

I have a manifold from that system for sale $150.00 plus shipping. PM me if interested.
This is not the UDS-1 manifold. This is a USD triple manifold that came out later.

Also, Mike, you cannot substitute tanks for the UDS-1. This was a special set of 35 cubic foot 3000 psi tanks with a 1 inch valve opening, not the standard 3/4 inch opening. This is what makes it such a great breathing rig; the manifold has huge valve openings compared to anything else ever produced. (See the valve photos above in my earlier post.)

I am definitely having problems getting my cylinders hydroed. The local hydro facility just sent them back unhydroed, as they do not have the eddie current tester for these cylinders that was mentioned above. So I am looking at my options here. I appreciate the input earlier about PSI, and may send them there.

John

Attachments

• UDS-1 Manifold reserve end.jpg
    UDS-1 Manifold reserve end.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 82
  • UDS-1 manifold reserve end1.jpg
    UDS-1 manifold reserve end1.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 93
  • UDS-1 diagram.jpg
    UDS-1 diagram.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
John C

Would you retrive the post from the other board I made several years ago that lists the years that he USD 1 etc was produced and post it here on this board?

Perhaps as a seperate thread?

Thanks

SDM

John C

Would you retrive the post from the other board I made several years ago that lists the years that he USD 1 etc was produced and post it here on this board?

Perhaps as a seperate thread?

Thanks

SDM
Dr. Miller,

I looked it up, and we cannot find some things for reasons. I did a search on "UDS" and "UDS-1" and got nothing. I then did a search on my name, and game up with an earlier thread titled "Uds-1" (note the lack of capitalized letters). On that thread is a post of mine referring to the Vintage Scuba Supply website. There were two threads there, and one has your post in it. You started that thread, titled "UDS SYSTEM BY US DIVERS." The other thread is a short one, and is titled "Info Request on UDS-1."

Here is your post from that first VSS thread:
Dr. Sam Miller:
There has been considerable discussion on this board regarding the UDS and the ABS diving systems by US Divers. Lots of "I think," "I thought," and "I believe" about these units.

It is time to establish a definitive document for future reference and discussions regarding these systems. Lets begin with the UDS units. Therefore:

UDS:

The UDS was introduced in the 1974 US Divers Catalog on pages 4 and 5. Page 4, 2/3s of the page was devoted to a color picture of the unit; likewise on page 5, 1/4 of the page was devoted to a picture. The remainder of the two pages was devoted to verbage describing the unit.

UDS consisted of three cylinders of 3000 psi, 105 cuft, a special manifold, a regulator, a ProDiv SPG and a reserve system. The entire system was encased in a bright yellow thermoformed Cycolac plastic case. The entire unit was attatched to the diver via soft nylon straps, for the waist, crotch and shoulders. The weight belt buckel was USD Safe E Z #7116 which some on this board consider the best thing since sliced bread. Others do not share that opinion

It was sold as a complete unit. However no price was listed in the catlog.

US Divers did issue a seperate 6 page price list. the unit was listed on page #1 as part # 1093 UDS complete, $499.00

1975 (UDS-1)

Once again two complete color pages were devoted to this unit. Although the UDS first appears on page 6 and 7 it is the first product to be featured in the catalog. Pages 1 to five are devoted to JYC, PC and JJC

The cosmetic appearance is the same as the UDS. All changes were devoted to a new ProDive1 SPG, and a moldable mouthpiece for the regulator.

It was also indicated that the case was of Thermoformed "ABS" for superior impact resistance. (?)

Once again the price is on a seperate 2 page price sheet. It is listed as part number 1093 UDS -1 System with a price increase to $599.00

1976 UDS-1

Once again listed on the very first page of the marketing portion of the catalog, page 6. Two color pictures of the front and rear of the unit is demonstrated. A very brief description of the unit accompanies the pictures. There are no apparent changes to the system, either functional or cosmeticly.

Once again a seperate price liist was issued. the unit was listed as UDS-1 #1093 $696.50 (YES $696.50)

UDS -1 was once again placed on the very first page of the catalog, but in reality page 7. Full page , two views, with a sales pitch.

As with others a seperate price list was issued and once again it is listed but with a stock number change of UDS-1 System, part number 1093-00 with a reduction in price of fifty cents to $696.00.

No longer in the USD catalog and not listed in the USD closeout specials. Thus ends the saga of the UDS and UDS -1 by US Divers.

On a personal note:

I had the opportunity to dive the unit on a number of occasions. I was not as impressed as others seem to be.

One of the stong recomendations made to US Divers was to combine a PFD with the unit. Design and market as an acessory or as a componet of the UDS or even better possibly remove one of the cylinders to make room for a PFD. Higher powers, whom I suspect to be JYC & JJC, wanted it as it was designed and marketed.

I dove twin 44 (USD womens tanks or the early USN tripples) the majority of my life. The UDS was no comparison to these units, perhaps that was the problem in my impressions of the UDS.

I obtained a number of the RCM UDS shells from USD.

One shell I made into a holloween turtle costume for one of my children--but even after much cutting and modifing it was still to restrictive, so I tossed it .

Another shell I mounted on the back of the twin 44s. I was using a ScubaPro wings type PFD with a BP from a modified flat piece of metal, which I ran a 3/8 brass bolt through the entire unit to secure it. Used it once or twice and tossed it also.

Thus ends my stories of the UDS.

Tune in tomorrow for the exciting saga of ABS...

SDM,

Read more: Vintage Scuba Diving Community Forum - UDS SYSTEM BY US DIVERS
SeaRat

Thank you!

Thank You John!

That was the post...I was going to finish up with the ABS unit but Linda booted me off the board forever = FYI there were two or three who had obtained my personal e mail and were sending me hate e mails after just about every post as me being a smart ass..they are long gone as the other board is also sinking into the sunset,

Thanks again hombre,

SDM

Back
Top Bottom