US customs -- where?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just because an airline will sell you an itinerary with a ridiculously short layover is no indication you actually have a decent chance of making it, even for domestic flights. The system doesn't appear to have any basic common sense programmed into it related to layovers, never mind actually being intelligent. You need to determine for yourself what kind of layover makes sense (as you're doing) and book accordingly.
The systems are programmed for at least the "legal minimum connection time", which means that, if you accept the suggested itinerary, the airline has at least some duty to eventually get you to your destination even if you don't make the connection. Occasionally they are purposely kept short, such as the 30 min connection times in Guam for Micronesia destinations. When I first had one of those assigned to me, I figured there wasn't a chance. Somehow we managed to clear customs/immigration in Guam fast enough and they expidited us through security, calling out our flight and bumping us to the head of the line, so we caught our connecting flight with minutes to spare, and that sort of thing is planned and occurs daily because of the fixed number of people making the connections. With larger international airports like Hartsfield and Bush, there can potentially be many other arriving international flights all carrying passengers connecting to tens or hundreds of flights, with no way for the ticketing computers or the airport staff to try or even care to try to assure passengers make their connecting flights. When connecting through big international hubs, it's entirely on the passenger to get it right and erring on the side of longer connection times is the safest way to do it.

sure they have a minimum, but their idea of "legal minimum connection time" is often just plain stupid and not much better than "greater than zero." I know it's a non-determinate problem but I really think they could do better. I've had 30 minutes offered up on an international connection through Atlanta which is just idiotic. And of course while getting to your destination "eventually" may fulfill the airlines obligation, it does nothing if you have fixed/prepaid hotel reservations or are meeting some puddle jumper airline or a liveaboard.

What's even better is when they rebook you and there's negative connection time...

sure they have a minimum, but their idea of "legal minimum connection time" is often just plain stupid and not much better than "greater than zero." I know it's a non-determinate problem but I really think they could do better. I've had 30 minutes offered up on an international connection through Atlanta which is just idiotic. And of course while getting to your destination "eventually" may fulfill the airlines obligation, it does nothing if you have fixed/prepaid hotel reservations or are meeting some puddle jumper airline or a liveaboard.

What's even better is when they rebook you and there's negative connection time...
True dat. They are a utopian view of what could possibly work in the best possible scenario, but we frequent travelers all know that airport scenarios aren't always at their best. The savvy travelers, or at least those guided by decent travel agents, will make sure to include enough time to tilt the odds towards a favorable result. If you have to ask whether it's enough time to make a connection, it probably isn't enough time. Figure out where there's free wifi, develop a taste for airport food, nurse overpriced drinks at the bar, whatever it takes, that hour or two of extra time at the airport is a small price to pay for avoiding the absolute chaos of missing a connection (unless there are backup flights available).

I see whining reports all of the time here from travelers who couldn't make their connection, get to it after the door closes 15 minutes prior to listed departure, and/or bags don't make it - stuck overnight, often at their own expense.

Three hours seems too much to some, a safe call to some of us, but then it's a judgement call. Sometimes planes are delayed more than that even, or canceled. You never know for sure, but I like 3 hours for I&C and re-entry security. I don't think you'll ever see them call passengers for boarding flights to the front of a line in a major hub.

Also see Fewer hubs mean fewer options for fliers - CNN

If you have to ask whether it's enough time to make a connection, it probably isn't enough time. Figure out where there's free wifi, develop a taste for airport food, nurse overpriced drinks at the bar, whatever it takes, that hour or two of extra time at the airport is a small price to pay for avoiding the absolute chaos of missing a connection (unless there are backup flights available).

Sage advice. Sitting here at home I know I want to return home in the shortest amount of time possible. Sitting on the flight from Coz, I know I'll be wishing for a longer layover. :)

Seems like 3 hours is the general recommendation. I'll see what I can find in that area.

If the reservations system mandated a 2 hour minimum layover, the airline would be flooded with complaints from folks who are in a hurry and wish to roll the dice. The new way of arranging travel (self booking instead of using a travel agent) puts a lot of power in the hands of the customer, but it is not without a measure of risk.

When you search for flights on line and the system shows you possibilities, that's just what they are - available fights, not recommendations. It's up to you to do your homework and decide for yourself if a connection is reasonable.

Good luck. I have missed 90+ minute connections trying to get through customs at IAH.

Exactly right. This past February, coming back through IAH from Cozumel, I had the "pleasure" of spending a full hour and a half dragging my heavy carry-on bag through all the government stuff, TSA/immigration/customs, etc. I did have adequate time to make my connection, but frankly, that experience took a bunch of the enjoyment out of the trip. I don't fly much, especially internationally, and it'll be a while before I do it again, if ever. Life's too short. Florida's looking a lot better now.

Exactly right. This past February, coming back through IAH from Cozumel, I had the "pleasure" of spending a full hour and a half dragging my heavy carry-on bag through all the government stuff, TSA/immigration/customs, etc. I did have adequate time to make my connection, but frankly, that experience took a bunch of the enjoyment out of the trip. I don't fly much, especially internationally, and it'll be a while before I do it again, if ever. Life's too short. Florida's looking a lot better now.
You pays your money and you takes your chances. When I went through IAH a couple of weeks ago, Immigration was a mess. Three or four planes arrived at about the same time and only 10-15% of the Immigration kiosks were manned. I was over an hour and a half in that serpentine line. It's not usually that bad, but it happens.

I'm going to be testing the system at IAH next weekend.....usually give ourselves at least 2 hours, but I have 65 minutes. Luckily, no checked bags & got a bulkhead seat in the first row of coach, so I should be off & running quickly. Just hope there aren't a lot of Intl. flights hitting at the same time.

Mike

I'm going to be testing the system at IAH next weekend.....usually give ourselves at least 2 hours, but I have 65 minutes. Luckily, no checked bags & got a bulkhead seat in the first row of coach, so I should be off & running quickly. Just hope there aren't a lot of Intl. flights hitting at the same time.
Running, indeed. Or you can take a cart. If the plane is at the gate exactly at the scheduled time, it still takes a few minutes for the jetway to engage and the first-class cabin to offload. Then you have the long, long walk to immigration (5 minutes), the wait to get processed (5-30 minutes) and you'll still have to wait in the line to turn in your form with the customs inspector even if you just have carry-on bags (0-10 minutes; you'll at least avoid having to wait for bags on the carousel, but those are usually waiting there by the time you clear immigration). After that, up the escalator and proceed through security again (5-30 minutes), then head to your gate (5-10 minutes). Remember to be on your connecting flight at least 15 minutes before scheduled departure or they might close the doors on you. That gives you 50 minutes to accomplish everything else. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom