US customs -- where?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have frequently flown through the US and cleared customs in Minneapolis, Baltimore, and Fort Worth. No problem with 2 hours ever. There are agents who will call out asking if anyone is on flight xxx as its departure draws near. If it's you, they will move you up in the line. At least that has been my experience. Never been through Atlanta though.

Thanks All!!

Last time I was in Coz, I switched in Houston. Atlanta is a new one for me. Not sure why things have changed, I'm still leaving from the same airport. :)

Good to know that my gut is right .... 2 hours is the minimum. Let me see what hipmunk and kayak can find. << fingers crossed >>

Hey ajtoady. Totally loved the "send my tickets to the Pope". LOL

Thanks All!!

Last time I was in Coz, I switched in Houston. Atlanta is a new one for me. Not sure why things have changed, I'm still leaving from the same airport. :)

Good to know that my gut is right .... 2 hours is the minimum. Let me see what hipmunk and kayak can find. << fingers crossed >>
Different airline?

Thanks All!!

My favorite connection home is about 75 minutes and it has never been an issue even without the Global Entry in Atlanta.
Relax book the trip and enjoy.

I just went through ATL from CZM this Monday.

Originally we were supposed to land in ATL at 5:43PM, go through Immigration and Customs, and then connect back home to Milwaukee at 7:15. "Well, an hour and a half should be enough time to get through all that!", I smugly assumed.

As luck would have it - we were delayed leaving CZM and didn't get off the plane in ATL until 6:30PM! Fortunately there were virtually no lines at either Immigration or Customs and we made our Milwaukee plane with 3 minutes to spare. My luggage made it - but my friend's didn't (until the next morning). All in all - quite an adventure.

Delays happen. Lines happen. 75 minute or 90 minute connection times are fine, most of the time. Personally I'm most comfortable giving myself at least 3 hours, but that's because I don't like surprises "Most of the time" is definitely not all of the time. I'd much rather wait an extra hour or two in the airport for my next flight than have to chance waiting an extra day.

We always fly through Atlanta, Houston or Charlotte and always allow at least two hours for connections to allow for delays and that works well when flights are on time. If given a choice between a 1 1/2 hour layover vs 3 hours, we'll take the 3 hours every time. Less stress that way.

CO sent us an offer for a "Presidential Plus" MasterCard at no charge for the first year (and, of course, no obligation to renew at $395 a year). It includes President's Club access, which makes 3 hours in Houston on the way back not only sensible but fun! Nothing like taking a shower in the airport after sweating one's way through the ten mile walk to immigration and stripping down through security, and the free drinks aren't bad either. With bag charges waived for the two of us for all flights, not to mention the merger with United and hopefully being able to extend the same benefits, not to mention the regular PC membership currently going for $525 a year, we might even keep the card when it comes time to renew and pay the annual fee.

Just because an airline will sell you an itinerary with a ridiculously short layover is no indication you actually have a decent chance of making it, even for domestic flights. The system doesn't appear to have any basic common sense programmed into it related to layovers, never mind actually being intelligent. You need to determine for yourself what kind of layover makes sense (as you're doing) and book accordingly.

I don't go through Atlanta enough, but I will say that less than 2 hours in Miami is usually a bad idea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom