US customs -- where?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eab

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Looking into a trip to Coz, and noticed most of the decent flights back to the states have less than a 2 hour layover in Atlanta.

I always thought that you go through customs at the first arrival in the states, but last year went through customs in Aruba. Curious if the same is now true in Coz, hence the shorter layovers.

Comments? THANKS!!

Looking into a trip to Coz, and noticed most of the decent flights back to the states have less than a 2 hour layover in Atlanta.

I always thought that you go through customs at the first arrival in the states, but last year went through customs in Aruba. Curious if the same is now true in Coz, hence the shorter layovers.

Comments? THANKS!!

Cozumel does not have US Customs (in fact, I don't think any place in MX does) - so you will go through customs in Atlanta. I have a 1 h 10 m layover in Houston so I'm going to be rushing it.

Cozumel does not have US Customs (in fact, I don't think any place in MX does) - so you will go through customs in Atlanta. I have a 1 h 10 m layover in Houston so I'm going to be rushing it.

Thanks. If you trip is soon, please report back on whether you make it or not, how close it is, and so on. Seems quite tight to me.

I think you want at least two hours in Atlanta for I&C. The lines can be bad depending on arriving flights, clearing security again takes time, then there is changing terminals or even getting to an end gate. Just because itineraries suggested show less connection time does not mean you have to do it that way. You can select other connections with more time, usually at the same price.

If you miss your connection, the airline is not responsible so getting you on the next flight is at their whim, and who knows what happens to the bags.

Give me your dates and airport if you'd like and I'll show you more...

I have always tried to avoid Hartsfield in Atlanta due to unrealistic connection windows. If I had to connect in Atlanta I would always send my tickets to the Pope to have them blessed. Can never have to many good things going for you when your flying thru Atlanta.. But seriously,one thing to be aware of, the later in the day the longer the delays will usually be. I agree with Don, less than two hours is probably cutting it close.

Reactions: eab
I fly thru ALT most trips to Cozumel. Two hours should be fine, I have never had a problem making a connection with 2 hours. I even have time to grab dinner before boarding. The transportation around the airport is quick and easy. Recently I got the Global Entry approval and I now just fly thru immigration and customs. Its well worth the $100.

Flying into the US you go through immigration first. Then once finished there you claim your luggage and then go through customs.

In Houston two plus hours gives you plenty of time. Just flew into Dallas a few weeks ago and an hour would have been plenty. Been too long since I've flown out of Atlanta to be of much help there.

There are no US customs in Cozumel. Just like a normal check in at any airport except you can carry on liquid items bought at the duty free stores. You just have to put them in your checked luggage once you get to the US.

I was thinking I had been thru US Customs in Montreal and San Juan, but then PR is in the US isn't it?

I suppose that two hours to clear I&C then change planes in ATL will usually be enough. If you want help booking a longer time tho, it's not difficult. Airlines will book you with 45 minutes at times as they seem to fail to consider I&C...!

Good luck. I have missed 90+ minute connections trying to get through customs at IAH.

The standard quoted airline/airport connection times seem to be based on domestic connections rather than inbound international connections.

- Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom