US admits killing Egyptian with Suez Canal warning shots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As far as I know, terrorists couldn't care less if they have the right permits or not. Getting a citation is hardly their greatest concern. I'll even bet some of the guys setting off car bombs don't have drivers licenses!

But anyone can drive a car without license until he's "caught". On the other hand, no one can sail (at least in the Red Sea) without having permission because he'll be caught at once.

I would say more people will heed future warnings to stay clear as a result of this incident.

It is common practice in maritime operations to fire across the bow of a vessel in order for it to heave to.

Bullets can ricochet off of water. An investigation will be conducted but a skipper who allows a strange vessel to come along side it and get attacked would be hung out to dry for not taking aggresive action to protect his ship and crew.

Not to change the topic but I once worked for a municipal police department and during a multi-county nighttime high-speed pursuit with a car thief I ended up ramming him into an embankment and ended up firing five shots at the suspect in a broom straw field. I would have fired more but all I was carrying back in those days was a S&W Mod. 60 5 shot snub nose .38. I did not hit the guy but one round supposedly went through his shirt and passed through the hair under his armpit. We did not arrest the guy until the next day when he surrendered after his momma made him do the right thing.

I told the Chief I had shot at the guy and he told me to put in my report I fired "warning shots". I told him firing five shots weren't really what I would call warning shots.
He then told me in his opinion a warning shot was any shot that did not break the skin. That was old-school police work. Now warning shots of any kind are normally against policy with the majority of police departments.

But anyone can drive a car without license until he's "caught". On the other hand, no one can sail (at least in the Red Sea) without having permission because he'll be caught at once.

Exactly who is going to catch them? And why didn't these ever present security forces stop this poor boat from approaching the ship?

You don't seem to get it that terrorists don't play by the rules. They don't need to get a permit to sail. All they need is a handgun and ten seconds to hijack the boat (and sailor) of someone who does. In a few minutes the boat will be loaded with explosives and headed out to meet the ship at full speed.

I agree...IMHO they have an advantage over armed forces. They do not follow any of the established rules that are governing the armed forces of the world.

ReefHound:
You don't seem to get it that terrorists don't play by the rules. They don't need to get a permit to sail. All they need is a handgun and ten seconds to hijack the boat (and sailor) of someone who does. In a few minutes the boat will be loaded with explosives and headed out to meet the ship at full speed.

How about the term "shoot first, talk later".

Exactly who is going to catch them? And why didn't these ever present security forces stop this poor boat from approaching the ship?
The Egyptian authorities called the Border Guards. They didn't catch them because their vessel was not suspected, as they did get a permission before sailing!

You don't seem to get it that terrorists don't play by the rules. They don't need to get a permit to sail.[/quote]
I know, and it's pretty obvious even for a child! What I'm saying is that if you don't get a permission in the Egyptian waters you WILL be caught.

The Egyptian authorities called the Border Guards. They didn't catch them because their vessel was not suspected, as they did get a permission before sailing!

You don't seem to get it that terrorists don't play by the rules. They don't need to get a permit to sail.
I know, and it's pretty obvious even for a child! What I'm saying is that if you don't get a permission in the Egyptian waters you WILL be caught.[/QUOTE]

Wow, such faith in one's government. :confused:

There have been no terrorist attacks on my house, either. I guess I must have some highly effective security protocols, huh?

Hmmm... so a banner would have been useful also? How about the radio contact with the VHF radio, an Arabic speaker on a bull horn (just in case they were not listening to the VHF) followed by a couple of warning shots (actually 2 sets from what I read at work). It looks like Darwinism at work to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom