US admits killing Egyptian with Suez Canal warning shots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always love the 20-20 hindsight. Its easy to sit back and pass judgement on the Navy from a computer chair safe and sound in your house. Put yourself on the deck of a ship with a small boat failing to yield or heed warnings, its a different ballgame altogether. Its sad when 1 guy dies because he failed to understand, hear or otherwise obey the warnings that were being given. It would be sadder still if the guy detonated a boat full of explosives killing hundreds in the canal.

It would be sadder still if the guy detonated a boat full of explosives killing hundreds in the canal.

Or in the case of a ship that size blocking access to the canal.

My heart goes out to the family of the man killed.

Unfortunately, this is the sort of thing that happens when you get a high concentration of military forces, fueled by growing paranoia, and place them in an area where there's a lot of civilian traffic. It's inevitable that you eventually end up with situations like this... or worse.. like the Iran Air incident in the '80s.

While I fully agree that military forces have the right to defend themselves against an approaching threat, I worry that folks may be getting a little too quick on the trigger finger at times.

Not saying they should let their guard down or compromise their own safety, but perhaps a little more discretion and a little less of the 'shoot first, ask questions later' mentality. Needless civilian deaths do nothing to improve our relations in the region.

My heart goes out to the family of the man killed.

Unfortunately, this is the sort of thing that happens when you get a high concentration of military forces, fueled by growing paranoia, and place them in an area where there's a lot of civilian traffic. It's inevitable that you eventually end up with situations like this... or worse.. like the Iran Air incident in the '80s.

While I fully agree that military forces have the right to defend themselves against an approaching threat, I worry that folks may be getting a little too quick on the trigger finger at times.

Not saying they should let their guard down or compromise their own safety, but perhaps a little more discretion and a little less of the 'shoot first, ask questions later' mentality. Needless civilian deaths do nothing to improve our relations in the region.
Yup... Ignorance is bliss...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom