Upgrading - Sony A7RV or Alternatives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
MrTW

MrTW

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Picking brains....

I have been shooting on a Panasonic Lumix LX10 in a Nauticam housing for the last 7 years shortly after it got released. Got about 300+ dives on my current setup and have been shooting mostly macro during that time.

I am a sure lifelong learner when it comes to UW photography but would consider to be experienced with regards to the overall framework (buoyancy, handling of camera/settings, shooting modes, composition, etc.).

Now, while the LX10 is a fun camera, I feel its time for an upgrade.

I am currently considering the Sony A7RV for the very fast majority of still photography and only some occasional video shooting on very rare circumstances. The plan is to start extending from macro to wide angle shooting over time.

Now, since this is a significant invest and I am not planning on changing setups for a several years after, I would like to pick brains to get feedback on a upgrade within the price range of the Sony A7RV in a Nauticam housing including suitable macro (priority) and WA lenses.

Any thoughts are highly appreciated!

Yeah, it's a 'there's your problem' moment. With Retra Pros I've had no issues exposing sunballs at f/22

View attachment 850656

View attachment 850658

LOL, not everyone is made out of money and as well, in my case, scuba photography is not my only monetary waster of funds as much as I love it. Thing is, with my S90, despite less dynamic range, I had no problems with sunballs. And, I do manage along the way to get a decent photo here and there with my current rig and strobes. A little better, still do not have the sun quite like I would want it.

I am not going to spend the money for Retra strobes. Sooner or later Inon will re-introduce their pro strobe or those new Backscatter strobes look decent for the money. I may step up then.

Good shots, thanks for sharing. You are a a skilled photographer :).

I am not going to spend the money for Retra strobes.
To be honest, right now, neither would I. I love my Retras, but I got them on preorder for just over 700 euros apiece, even though I had to wait over a year for them to ship. The current price of $1600 is just ouch.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom