Upgrading - Sony A7RV or Alternatives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
MrTW

MrTW

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Picking brains....

I have been shooting on a Panasonic Lumix LX10 in a Nauticam housing for the last 7 years shortly after it got released. Got about 300+ dives on my current setup and have been shooting mostly macro during that time.

I am a sure lifelong learner when it comes to UW photography but would consider to be experienced with regards to the overall framework (buoyancy, handling of camera/settings, shooting modes, composition, etc.).

Now, while the LX10 is a fun camera, I feel its time for an upgrade.

I am currently considering the Sony A7RV for the very fast majority of still photography and only some occasional video shooting on very rare circumstances. The plan is to start extending from macro to wide angle shooting over time.

Now, since this is a significant invest and I am not planning on changing setups for a several years after, I would like to pick brains to get feedback on a upgrade within the price range of the Sony A7RV in a Nauticam housing including suitable macro (priority) and WA lenses.

Any thoughts are highly appreciated!

The Sony A7RV camera in a Nauticam housing is a great toy.
This is my first set for taking photos of the University of Warsaw without much preparation (total amateur)
The photos were taken after a few tips, without stroboscopes, only with video lamps and a FE 16-35 F2.8 GM wide angle lens. I took the photos without thinking twice, only one was set to a constant ISO200 and the photos are 90% ok for me.

It has only 3 disadvantages: Price; Transport scale; It makes huge RAW files up to 130mb, JPG up to 30-35mb

You can deal with flaws

I have A7R5 in Nauticam housing, not cheap but I am very pleased with it. Perfect ergonomy and long-term value (when you upgrade later to a newer camera model). I am not sure I would prefer a A7cR that has the same sensor, but less buttons/dials and customizability (size/weight and cost will be very similar at the end when you consider the full setup (domes/lenses/flashes etc...)...
For macro the Sony 90mm is a very good lens available. I read in posts that with older camera models (A7R3, A7R4) AF was inconvinient, but with A7R5 (and probably also A7cR/A7cII) it is a pleasure to use. A SMC-1 is required for smaller subjects...

When you come from LX10, you also may consider a system with smaller sensor: MFT, unlike all other systems, has perfect lens choices for both macro and WA, or maybe APS-C...

Wolfgang

i hope all is well. i recently invested into the A7R5 system and was looking to meet UWP that shoot with the same system.

I wanted to ask you do you have a few images and experiences that you dont mind sharing with me. I am headed to Anilao in October for a workshop and have a ton of question. when you have some free time reach back out. salute

I finally took delivery of the Nauticam housing for use with my A7CR. I went this route due to smaller form factor ABOVE water and overall cost difference. The camera difference is $900 and Nauticam housing difference is $750 bringing total cost difference to $1650. I do think the size difference when underwater is immaterial, however. I will mostly be using the 8-15 Canon and 16-35 GM lenses. The weather here in Northern California is rough right now but plan on using soon. Happy to chat on results when possible. Good luck with your decision.
How is that system woring for you? Do you mind sharing any images taken with this system. I am located a few miles away from you. we have to connect some day and get some dives in,

i hope all is well. i recently invested into the A7R5 system and was looking to meet UWP that shoot with the same system.

I wanted to ask you do you have a few images and experiences that you dont mind sharing with me. I am headed to Anilao in October for a workshop and have a ton of question. when you have some free time reach back out. salute
Hi Mario,

I see your post just now.
here are some photos, I made with the A7R5: Trip report: Red Sea UW-photography workshop (June 26th - July 3rd, 2023): Underwater Photography Forum: Digital Photography Review

For camera settings see here:

Wolfgang

How is that system woring for you? Do you mind sharing any images taken with this system. I am located a few miles away from you. we have to connect some day and get some dives in,
Hi there. Happy to share some pics...DM me for contact info. Yes would love to setup a dive. Thanks!!

I have A7R5 in Nauticam housing, not cheap but I am very pleased with it. Perfect ergonomy and long-term value (when you upgrade later to a newer camera model). I am not sure I would prefer a A7cR that has the same sensor, but less buttons/dials and customizability (size/weight and cost will be very similar at the end when you consider the full setup (domes/lenses/flashes etc...)...
For macro the Sony 90mm is a very good lens available. I read in posts that with older camera models (A7R3, A7R4) AF was inconvinient, but with A7R5 (and probably also A7cR/A7cII) it is a pleasure to use. A SMC-1 is required for smaller subjects...

When you come from LX10, you also may consider a system with smaller sensor: MFT, unlike all other systems, has perfect lens choices for both macro and WA, or maybe APS-C...

Wolfgang
Hi Wolfgang.

Which strobe trigger did you get?
Nauticam states that the Sony A7RV Nauticam trigger creates a black band at the top of the image when shutter speed is set to 1/250. They recommend using it at 1/200.

Hi Wolfgang.

Which strobe trigger did you get?
Nauticam states that the Sony A7RV Nauticam trigger creates a black band at the top of the image when shutter speed is set to 1/250. They recommend using it at 1/200.
I have the Nauticam and the s-turtle (manual version). With Nauticam sync. is 1/200s with first curtain, with s-turtle it is 1/250s and I can select 1st or 2nd curtain from the camera menue during the dive...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom