Upgrading an Atomic T1x to a T2x?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SS,
Approx 4-5 years ago I had atomic aquatics upgrade my reg as much as they could. I don't have the records on me but they upgraded to the jet seat piston, enviro sealed it and put in some T2 parts so I should be golden there. Other than the high flow case it is as nearly a T2x as I could get at the time. I have to send it directly to atomic for all biyearly services since my LDS really doesn't know anything about atomic regulators. He mentioned one time that he could "try" servicing my atomic, but that didn't instill confidence in him. I leave him to service my oceanic regs which he is proficient at and at a pretty good price to.

On the nitrox issue I've already used my t1x swapping between air and nitrox on my training dives (only using EAN 32) and had no issues, actually I forgot that I needed a special nitrox swappable reg at the time. Your argument on hydrocarbon buildup in nitrox and air seems valid and it really makes me want to know why a special upgrade is needed to swap between the two.

Did Atomic upgrade both the first and second stage? There is two ways to tell if the second stage has the high flow case the easiest is to look into the mouth piece with a flash light. If the AFC lever is black old case, if gray high flow. As for the first stage if they made that into a T2 the piston should be a monel piston as should the swivel retainer for the turret. As for the nitrox issue CYA.

Ok I guess I've been deluded about what components my regulator has. After doing some research talking with Darcy at Atomic going over my service records I found out a few things that shot my upgrading ideas out of the water. First I found out that my regulator has the upgraded jet seat piston and enviro. sealing and some M1 parts like exhuast but it is pretty much a T1x, the demand lever in the 2nd appears to be the old style not magnum, as far as I can tell. So if there are T2 parts in there I don't know what ones they are.

The big letdown was after talking with Darcy I found out that 447.00 upgrade doesn't include the high flow case that the other person I talked to at atomic said it included. The upgrade only does the 1st stage internals and the magnum lever in the 2nd. That seems insanely high priced for just upgrading to nitrox swapable and I can't justify that.

So I guess I will just keep things as they are and maybe consider getting a swivel for the regulator as my only upgrade, if I even care to do that. I'm really starting to regret buying the T1 and would proably invest another more cost effective rig if I could do it over again.

On another note I went over the service manuals for the atomic last night and the reg seems pretty straight forward to service and since I am very mechanically inclinded I may have to find an atomics/reg serivce class and buy some books on reg repairs if I care to keep this reg repaired myself. Plus it would be a valuable skill to learn as a diver and I love learning new things.

So I've been diving my good ole atomic titanium regulator for many years, it was originally bought back in 1998. It has been upgraded various times over the years to the latest atomic technologies but I still haven't upgraded to the new T2 high flow case and monel 1st stage internals to make it nitrox swappable.

So I thought I would ask anybody has been through the process and if they have noticed much of a difference from the t1x to the T2. I called up atomic and they quoted me a $445 to upgrade to the t2x and that includes biyearly service and told me that the upgrade made a huge difference in breath ability. The upgrade cost sounds pretty steep and I will still have many limitations in regard to o2 level it can take compared to the M1 for example. Plus the only real reason I like the atomic is the Titanium factor (since my oceanic breathes as good and costs a lot less to service) and replacing the parts with monel almost seems sacrilege.

So what do you think is it worth it in terms or breath ability/nitrox to upgrade the reg?

I had my original T1x converted to T2x about 100 dives ago, at AA. I really didn't notice any difference in breathing at all (but I'm not typically a heavy demand diver, although I do commonly dive at the limits for whatever mix I'm breathing). The only real difference (I already had the swivel upgrade) was in the weight of the second; it's noticeably (ounces) heavier. It's still extremely lightweight, but you can tell the Ti content is lower!

The swivel upgrade was nice, but I didn't have (never had with any reg) any issues before with comfort.

Is it worth it? Guess it depends on your situation. If you are going to be diving higher O2 mixes and in less than ideal circumstances (ie: 3rd world compressors, lines, and tanks) probably. Otherwise my T1x was quite capable of handling 32 and 36 mixes. The Cool Factor is the personal intangible, you'll have to add that value.

I had my original T1x converted to T2x about 100 dives ago, at AA. I really didn't notice any difference in breathing at all (but I'm not typically a heavy demand diver, although I do commonly dive at the limits for whatever mix I'm breathing). The only real difference (I already had the swivel upgrade) was in the weight of the second; it's noticeably (ounces) heavier. It's still extremely lightweight, but you can tell the Ti content is lower!

The swivel upgrade was nice, but I didn't have (never had with any reg) any issues before with comfort.

Is it worth it? Guess it depends on your situation. If you are going to be diving higher O2 mixes and in less than ideal circumstances (ie: 3rd world compressors, lines, and tanks) probably. Otherwise my T1x was quite capable of handling 32 and 36 mixes. The Cool Factor is the personal intangible, you'll have to add that value.

Thanks for your opinion it really helps me see what I could be missing, and it sounds like not too much. What did they charge you to upgrade completely to the t2x? For 447 they only upgrade the 1 stage to monel and demand lever. I can understand 447 including an all new high flow t2 case but to just upgrade to nitrox swapable is absurd, I can find a used complete m1 for that price.

Alex

Another question I forgot to ask in my OP is what are Atomics owners views on the swivel? I've never had much problem with the regulator being pulled from my mouth during diving and to me it appears to be just another part that could start to malfunction after awhile, but I could be wrong.

An overpriced accessory or a good add on for the atomic regulator owner?

I've got the Atomic swivel hoses on 10 of my reg sets (including an M1 and T2)...no issues/failures!

Ok I guess I've been deluded about what components my regulator has. After doing some research talking with Darcy at Atomic going over my service records I found out a few things that shot my upgrading ideas out of the water. First I found out that my regulator has the upgraded jet seat piston and enviro. sealing and some M1 parts like exhuast but it is pretty much a T1x, the demand lever in the 2nd appears to be the old style not magnum, as far as I can tell. So if there are T2 parts in there I don't know what ones they are.

The big letdown was after talking with Darcy I found out that 447.00 upgrade doesn't include the high flow case that the other person I talked to at atomic said it included. The upgrade only does the 1st stage internals and the magnum lever in the 2nd. That seems insanely high priced for just upgrading to nitrox swapable and I can't justify that.

So I guess I will just keep things as they are and maybe consider getting a swivel for the regulator as my only upgrade, if I even care to do that. I'm really starting to regret buying the T1 and would proably invest another more cost effective rig if I could do it over again.

On another note I went over the service manuals for the atomic last night and the reg seems pretty straight forward to service and since I am very mechanically inclinded I may have to find an atomics/reg serivce class and buy some books on reg repairs if I care to keep this reg repaired myself. Plus it would be a valuable skill to learn as a diver and I love learning new things.

If this reg has given you 14 years (and counting) of good service, why are you complaining of 'cost effective' ? Additionally, you've already done (paid for 5 yrs ago) the major relevant upgrades as well. Your 'old' reg is already such an overachiever (you don't even do NITROX yet) that you will never overload it 'as is', so why not just be happy (as you have been for 14 yrs) and leave well enough alone ?

So I've been diving my good ole atomic titanium regulator for many years, it was originally bought back in 1998. It has been upgraded various times over the years to the latest atomic technologies but I still haven't upgraded to the new T2 high flow case and monel 1st stage internals to make it nitrox swappable.

So I thought I would ask anybody has been through the process and if they have noticed much of a difference from the t1x to the T2. I called up atomic and they quoted me a $445 to upgrade to the t2x and that includes biyearly service and told me that the upgrade made a huge difference in breath ability. The upgrade cost sounds pretty steep and I will still have many limitations in regard to o2 level it can take compared to the M1 for example. Plus the only real reason I like the atomic is the Titanium factor (since my oceanic breathes as good and costs a lot less to service) and replacing the parts with monel almost seems sacrilege.

So what do you think is it worth it in terms or breath ability/nitrox to upgrade the reg?

BTW I usually dive in northern California (near Oregon) in cold murky conditions with 21% O2 not nitrox, but I am nitrox certified and have been tempted to go down that road someday. Thanks for any help.

The T1/T2 series is rated for up to 40% NITROX (anything beyond 40% is considered 'technical diving', not 'recreational diving'), so you will NEVER encounter 40% + mixes in the recreational world. If you're serious about 'going tech' then the debate about the affordability of a $500-ish reg upgrade means you have no realistic chance of affording to go 'tech' anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom