Upgrading an Atomic T1x to a T2x?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alexhaben

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So I've been diving my good ole atomic titanium regulator for many years, it was originally bought back in 1998. It has been upgraded various times over the years to the latest atomic technologies but I still haven't upgraded to the new T2 high flow case and monel 1st stage internals to make it nitrox swappable.

So I thought I would ask anybody has been through the process and if they have noticed much of a difference from the t1x to the T2. I called up atomic and they quoted me a $445 to upgrade to the t2x and that includes biyearly service and told me that the upgrade made a huge difference in breath ability. The upgrade cost sounds pretty steep and I will still have many limitations in regard to o2 level it can take compared to the M1 for example. Plus the only real reason I like the atomic is the Titanium factor (since my oceanic breathes as good and costs a lot less to service) and replacing the parts with monel almost seems sacrilege.

So what do you think is it worth it in terms or breath ability/nitrox to upgrade the reg?

BTW I usually dive in northern California (near Oregon) in cold murky conditions with 21% O2 not nitrox, but I am nitrox certified and have been tempted to go down that road someday. Thanks for any help.

Another question I forgot to ask in my OP is what are Atomics owners views on the swivel? I've never had much problem with the regulator being pulled from my mouth during diving and to me it appears to be just another part that could start to malfunction after awhile, but I could be wrong.

An overpriced accessory or a good add on for the atomic regulator owner?

I have a T2x . Dive in Pacific Northwest so same conditions . I own three sets , the others Apeks ATX 50 , Poseidon Odin . The Atomic is a very stable reliable reg . The swivel is a nice luxury , it does make the reg sit more comfortable as i notice when I use a different reg . Overpriced...yes , fun ... Oh Yeah It is a nice toy , I was able to get this reg for a deadly killer price or it would be totally out of my price range , would I sell it ... No , never

Thanks lloyd for your take on the swivel. I could see the swivel helping out with the comfort factor and may have too look around if I can get one at a screaming deal, I'm a bargain hunter too. Glad you like your T2x my T1x has also been super reliable and the lovely titanium still looks as good as the day that I bought it. I wonder how much better the high flow case on your T2 preforms compared to my t1x. Maybe I just have to try one out for myself to see if the upgrade is worth it.

I have the swivel. It is much better on the mouth than the old version. Get it and be happy that you did.

Last edited:
Before you do that, keep your eyes open for a sale on SB. I have bought a T2 and ST1 off of this board for half price. Both were practically brand new. I rather put 6 or 7 hundred into a newer T2 than the upgrade.

I have and M1 with the old case and a Z2 with the new case. I can not tell the difference breathing wise but I did not do any formal testing just stuck the regs in my mouth as different times. As for the upgrades read this thread:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/393826-atomic-t2-t2x-upgrade-worth-500-a.html

Thanks for the info SS, it's too bad you didn't notice a big difference between the new high flow case and the old one. But I was figuring the difference would be pretty nil, that's is the reason it has taken me so long to upgrade. I've read that link a few times and there is lots of good info on the atomic regs but little info on how much better the high flow case design is. Maybe I'll just look around for a swivel and call my upgrading complete until I have a need to swap between nitrox and air, but I'll probably just use my other reg for that.

Before you do that, keep your eyes open for a sale on SB. I have bought a T2 and ST1 off of this board for half price. Both were practically brand new. I rather put 6 or 7 hundred into a newer T2 than the upgrade.

For the upgrade cost I probably could get a T2 used but if I was looking for another reg to service I would probably get the M1 rather than another titanium. Don't get me wrong I love the titanium but the monel M1 is just so much more versatile with gas mixes. Plus I don't think my older T1 is worn out, since also long as you upgrade and replace/upgrade the internals they should work almost as good as a new one they all have the same overall design on the 1st (what I really like about atomic).

One thing to consider if your reg has the old piston. At some point you will have to upgrade it as the HP seats are no longer made. One of my local shop techs noted that this past year he used his last old seat kit. So if some one brings him in an old piston reg they will have to update. Which is basically why I updated mine to the monel piston - could not find old seat kits. And as I noted in the other thread and like others I will swap back and forth between air and nitrox and not worry. BTW Atomic is making three versions of the swivel now, Ti, SS, and Brass.

Back
Top Bottom