Question Upgrading 2nd stage when using integrated inflator/backup reg [SOLVED]

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

m00dawg

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My air delivery system is somewhat of a hodgepodge I think. I have an Oceanic Alpha 9 as my primary regular and an Air XS as my backup combo/inflator. I know there's opinions on whether the combo is good or not but I quite like it. The Alpha 9 though, while it's super reliable, is fairly basic and since it needs a new diaphragm cover (a common issue it seems) I was thinking about upgrading.

My local dive shop tends to be a Cressi outfit at the moment so trying to sort out how I can swap to a Cressi primary and if I'll need to also swap my 1st stage. If I swap the 1st, I'm not sure how that might affect my Air XS. Been looking at websites and catalogs and things for a few hours now and haven't found a good explanation since most 2nd stages come paired with 1st stages. Which makes sense since there can be different designs of both, but when trying to sort out an upgrade path for me, I'm kinda not sure what to do. Also confusing a lot of 2nd stages have a 1st stage, but that's only a single regulator. So there must be options for just buying single regulators for a secondary anyway but I didn't find many options there?

Your service technician will be able to tune any 1st stage and 2nd stage combo to breath fine. The practicality of having same Brands is so you can take them all to the same dive shop for servicing.

If my LDS services only Sherwood, and I have a mix of Sherwood & Scubapro, then they won't be able to tune both together.

If your LDS can service both Cressi & Oceanic, then it will be fine to mix match. Although you'll usually be offered a 1st stage & 2nd stage-primary combo straight from catalog, rather than just buying a Cressi 1st stage alone. It won't hurt to ask the dive shop just for a 1st stage though.
Your Oceanic Air XS will breath fine being supplied by that and any first stage that's tuned to specs.

Personal opinion, I would recommend taking your primary hose to a length of 44in with an 90-degree angle adapter added on. The hose lay will looped under your right arm when you're breathing from it. This will allow you to have hose-play with any OOA diver you donate to. Most typical regulators out of box are coming with 30-32in hoses and feel very short for donation. Additionally be sure to practice venting from your BC's alternate dumps when ascending, as it can be impractical to vent from your Air XS when breathing off it. I wrote a PSA on options I've taught; link below.

Practice Dumping your in-line AltAir+Inflator - a Note to Divers

Oh my goodness thanks so much g1138! That's fantastic info! Makes sense and yep part of the reason I was going Cressi is what is what my shop tends to repair, though all my equipment was bought from the same shop. I was gonna bug them about all this directly, I just wanted to be a little more prepared with some thoughts so I didn't have to make it too complicated.

You're 100% about the dump issue. Truth be told in all my time diving with my Air2, I never thought about this but it's incredibly good advice, thanks for linking and writing that article! I'm ways away from instruction but am working my way slowly through the track and tend to assist instructors with training as needed and I'll be sure to bring this up. I haven't seen any new divers using the combo inflator/reg setup but I do point out my setup to all new divers so they are aware of it and this is great advice to add (and for me to practice too!).

Thanks again!

I think g1138 is right on the money! I've been using Frankenstein rigs for years with no issues, including the AIR2. My next walk around the block though is going to be a fully redundant system. Small tank with enough air capacity to get me from 100 ft with a safety stop in there. We'll see...

Your service technician will be able to tune any 1st stage and 2nd stage combo to breath fine. The practicality of having same Brands is so you can take them all to the same dive shop for servicing.

If my LDS services only Sherwood, and I have a mix of Sherwood & Scubapro, then they won't be able to tune both together.

If your LDS can service both Cressi & Oceanic, then it will be fine to mix match. Although you'll usually be offered a 1st stage & 2nd stage-primary combo straight from catalog, rather than just buying a Cressi 1st stage alone. It won't hurt to ask the dive shop just for a 1st stage though.
Your Oceanic Air XS will breath fine being supplied by that and any first stage that's tuned to specs.

Personal opinion, I would recommend taking your primary hose to a length of 44in with an 90-degree angle adapter added on. The hose lay will looped under your right arm when you're breathing from it. This will allow you to have hose-play with any OOA diver you donate to. Most typical regulators out of box are coming with 30-32in hoses and feel very short for donation. Additionally be sure to practice venting from your BC's alternate dumps when ascending, as it can be impractical to vent from your Air XS when breathing off it. I wrote a PSA on options I've taught; link below.

Practice Dumping your in-line AltAir+Inflator - a Note to Divers
My opinion of integrated reg-inflator combos is that they are a great additional air source, but you still need to carry a primary in your mouth and a secondary for your buddy (or for you, if donating the primary, as some agency recommends).
The integrated inflator/reg is a good tertiary air source. Useful when **** happens.
So in your case I suggest that you upgrade your system with a new good secondary stage.
You declass your current one to become an "octopus", and you keep the integrated combo on your BCD.
I see no big problem in mixing components of different brands, if you, or your technician, can service and tune everything.
I warmly discourage you to dive with only a primary reg in your mouth and an integrated combo on your BCD.
If **** happens, a panicked buddy will catch your primary and mess up everything on a way that you could have big difficulties to use your integrated combo as a secondary air source.
Every diver should always have two fully functional and independent second stages. Not counting the integrated combo inflator, which should be considered just a welcome and safe additional TERTIARY air source.
And, if you have access to tanks with double valves (as it js standard here in the Mediterraneum), just buy a complete new reg (first and second stage) and use both the valves, each feeding one of thr two first stages.
This will allow to leave your current setup untouched, adding a new, fully independent air source for maximum redundance.

Back
Top Bottom