Updates From Baghdad....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ALaderer:
I am in Gitmo now babysitting, but I can't wait to get out of here! Even with all the good diving.

ah, dude ... sweet diving and great fishing, for sure

(im from Cuba, btw... but from the center of the island, nowhere near you)

Hey...can't you invite us to Gitmo for a little dive trip?...I think you can. We are a very fun group and want to visit Cuba!

just four or five people...

I'd love to get a bunch of people down here for a trip, but I will be back in Washington state trying to figure out my drysuit again, before the paperwork would be done. It might be nice to get some visitors who don't think we are working for satan. (Mostly the Euro press)
If anyone is really interested in getting here try talking to Werner at Ocean Enterprises in San Diego. He owns the dive shop here.

Ok, one thing that was brought to my attention; there will be no politics spoken here.
(Bringing you up to speed from the beginning to the present)
We have been here for about 2 months now, actively chasing down the "bad guys" and taking away thier toys and what not. On March 20th, we took our first combat losses. Three good friends of mine were blown up by EFP's, the worst day of my life. All three had families and two of them have babies that will be born in June of this year. This was a response for the raid that took place the day prior. The kids here are trying to go to school, it seems that the terrorists prefer that they do not go to school and be illiterate. When doing so they can tell someone this is what the Koran says and they believe that killing is ok. However, the Koran preaches the same as the bible, it is not good to kill.
We have done alot of goodwill things here, like trying to get the local garbage men out to pick up the huge amounts of garbage that line the streets. I never would have thought that a horse could eat a tin can but, out on patrol I actually saw one pick one up and begin to chew on it. We are trying to bring the basics of society back to this place ie, water, sewage, trash collection, electric and phones. It is taking some time in some places due to the terrorists.

Pictures will be posted when I get a new camera, the one I did have got blown up on the 20th of March.

catherine96821:
Squalus
I would appreciate any word about Sadr City, are you near there at all?

on a scale of 1-10, how ugly?

Not far at all from Sadr City, maybe like a 15 minute drive. Of course our maximum allowed speed here is 15 mph. On the grand scale of the suck factor it is about a 9.

What you do for the benefit of the human beings that live there is immense. As to the human trash that do not have ability to think for themselves, and are led by evil. Blow them up before they do any more harm.

11 April 2007
Well today started out with a boom, something went off about 500-1000 meters from our location. Fun at 0600 in the morning to have something like that shake your bed to wake you up, cool alarm clock even to wake up your heaviest sleepers (LOL). We live amongst the people here to win their trust in the American Military so we can help them help themselves, interesting concept and it does work when applied right. So far we have had a rocket hit one of our buildings here on the third floor, the occupants were somewhere else getting thier trucks fixed. So, good news nobody got hurt, bad news was that it took out the buildings' water supply.
Our main base where the REMF's stay usually gets mortared on a daily basis and from the same area, hmmm a betting man would send someone out and stop the bad guys before they did it again.
I sit here daily and think why am I here, and I think about the first time I went out on patrol. We were leaving the green zone when we got the call, a VBIED had hit a check point. We roll up in our up armored HUMMERS, gunners ever watchful for that one bozo who thinks he can take on one with a rifle and usually looses. In the distance there is fire and carnage. My buddy tells me; "Doc you follow me when I get out of the truck and we will set-up a place for you to treat any wounded". So we pull up and get out (right now I am thinking why am I getting out of a 12ton armored truck?), we start our sweep and clear to make sure there is nothing that will go boom when you disturb it. There are bits and pieces (hence nothing left to treat just recovery) of everything all over the ground and about 6 vehicles just completely wrecked. Then I see the mini van with 2 car seats and toys burned out. I will not foget that day as long as I am here. For every terrorist we take off the street, means a family will one day live in peace.
Today, turned out to be slow. We usually ball up (arrest or detain) 5-6 guys that are out doing bad things. We even got a 500 pound bomb from the west side, go figure they (the other place that starts with an "I") say they ain't helping these guys.

Here are some stories on my guys:
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-surge18mar18,0,5552504.story?coll=la-home-world

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/03/27/iraq/main2613389.shtml

Bad things happened today, can't say much about it. Just that one of our outposts came under intensive fire. Now begins the commo blackout. Let you know when I am authorized to be back online.

Joe

thanks for the updates ...

i am afraid to say "thank you" too much, don't want to interrupt your thread

Yes, I figured you were near Sadr City.

Moqtada al-Sadr sort of runs the show there.

Sorry about your friends.

Did you get extended? How's the moral on that one, I am afraid to ask.

Back
Top Bottom