Up and down too much?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tpolson88

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
:dork2: I know this is a dumb question and i know the anwer but it makes me feel more confident if someone else answers too. So anyways when training with a lift bag can i go up and down too much? Say im going down to 25 ft hooking up to the wieght then surfacing, i can do this several times in a row correct as long as I dont ascend more than 30 ft/min?

The book answer is that you are unlikely to get enough nitrogen loading to get hurt, if you never go deeper than 20 feet. But I can tell you from personal experience that you do NOT want to do multiple ascents and descents, even in that depth range. The worst I have EVER felt after diving was a night where we did too many ascent drills. Max depth was maybe 30 feet. I didn't have any joint pain, but I wasn't even sure I was going to get home, because I was falling asleep in the car. It gave me a huge respect for the physiological stress of sawtooth profiles.

If you want to practice shooting a bag repeatedly, get a small one and just pull it back down after shooting it. We have done this as an assembly line -- person practicing shoots bag, hands it to buddy, buddy pulls it down, empties it and rolls it while practicing person shoots the next one :)

Or if you are diving with three or more people, you can leave someone on the surface to deflate the bag so you can reel it back up. Avoid the ups and downs if possible.

Or overweight yourself or chain yourself to the bottom so that you won't be popping to the surface every time you shoot. Huh?

You also have to take your ears into account. I know when I do a lot of up/down stuff with a class in our 14 foot deep pool I sometimes get to the point where I can no longer clear my ears.
Ber :lilbunny:

What the others have said is very real. Up and down diving is very hard on your body and can result in profound fatigue which can be described as subclinical DCS. It's not a perfect analogy but view is as shaking a soda pop bottle.

Spread it out and use teamwork to minimize the trips up and down.

You also have to take your ears into account. I know when I do a lot of up/down stuff with a class in our 14 foot deep pool I sometimes get to the point where I can no longer clear my ears.
Ber :lilbunny:

I have heard about your ears, they are famous:D

I may have misread (or misinterpreted) the original post, but I took it that the OP wished to practice the use of a true lift bag (to lift an item off the bottom to the surface), as opposed to using it as a marker. The former would entail a diver going up with the bag to control the rate of ascent, while the latter would not. If this is the case, advice about a third member on the surface, or reeling in a bag from below doesn't approach the problem.
Am I thinking right or not?

Or overweight yourself or chain yourself to the bottom so that you won't be popping to the surface every time you shoot. Huh?

Huh? Try reading the OP's question properly next time. Sarcasm doesn't work so well if you make yourself look silly trying to use it.

Listen to what the other people have said tpolson88. They make good points re how theoretically you should be fine but you always end up feeling lousy anyway. Try to avoid too many ascents to the surface to retrieve your bag.

I did 10.5 hours underwater in a day at Aquarene springs shooting the remake of Friday The 13th.... I have never felt so sick after diving, I had ear barotrauma and got ear infections in both ears.

We were in 18' of water going up and down all day long, probably at least 140 ascents that were quick....

after about 7 hours, I couldn't clear my ears right.

That sucked as a day.

Aaron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom