unsure...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i realize that and ive heard that alot. ive been bumping ideas off people for years now and talked to other doing similar projects and safety is my number once concern before cost. and true i do not have an engineering degree and maybe my designs aren't 100% workable but i believe that they are very close if to being a relaity with proper funding. i have been contacted by a few companies and universities already.

Good luck with the project!

Oh, and if you have access to a good CAD/CAM program, it might be able to help out with those calculations.

You are designing what? and you aren't an engineer? I hate to tell you, there are no legitimate businessess with any sort of funding level that would touch an underwater habitat without the design being signed off by a PE. Oh, wait, you don't know what that is. That is a Professional Engineer, licensed and bonded and all that stuff. I surely wouldn't consider getting inside it. The load and stress caclulations would have to be checked by at least a half dozen State and Federal agencies.

Have you ever seen a plastic bottle capped on the surface and then taken to even 10 ft? Think about it.

BNT77 once bubbled...
i realize that and ive heard that alot. ive been bumping ideas off people for years now and talked to other doing similar projects and safety is my number once concern before cost. and true i do not have an engineering degree and maybe my designs aren't 100% workable but i believe that they are very close if to being a relaity with proper funding. i have been contacted by a few companies and universities already.

That is licensed to do specific calculations for you....namely an Engineering firm, or a privte designing contractor

By the way, for the record if you have a 25' by 25' sphere I assume you mean 25 feet high by 25 feet wide which means that you have a radius of 12.5 feet. The volume for a sphere is 4/3 * pi * r^3 (four-thirds- times the constant pi- times the cube of the radius) by my quick calculation that is a total of 654.5 cubic feet. That means that it would have to weight approximately 22 tons to sink with no air trapped inside to act as a bouyant force.

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...
pi * r^3

pi*r^3 NO pi*r^round...

Sorry bad redneck humor. I will return you to your regularly scheduled serious discussion now.

Chad

Big-t-2538,

I haven't checked your math. I'll assume your numbers are good.

"That means that it would have to weight approximately 22 tons to sink with no air trapped inside to act as a bouyant force."

Nope. It does not matter what is inside, air, water, lead - it doesn't matter. If the volume remains the same, it will have the same buoyant force. Putting air inside a rigid container does not increase its buoyant force.

all i came here for was a simple formula on how to further my designs. im not asking anyone to "step inside" it...if you want to great but i also didnt say i was ready to build it tomorrow. I plan on sitting down with an engineer or having one critizise my deisgns...years ago one did do that and because of that i made many changes.

by the amount of use Aquarius gets in its limited space its obvious that the demand for on hand scientific research is a reality, and i know universities or other science institues would glady fund such a program. also its a tourist trap. Jules Undersea Lodge is booked and its only in 20 some feet fo water in a lagoon and you have to be a certified dievr to get there, that in itself rules out way too many people who have the money and desire to spend a night or weekend underwater when they cant becuase of health reasons.

my designs and my idea is to do away with all that and make undersea stays as easy as swinging by the local Holiday Inn.

if you dont want any part in this stuff thats fine stick to diving...i love diving best thing i ever did but its limited and maybe i am just a dreamer but we shall see.

sorry if i sounded ticked, im not.

actually, it does matter what the volume contains. you need to compare the weight (density) of the object compared to that of water. you can either measure or calculate the weight of the object, and in most cases (the dead sea or great salt lake excluded), the density of fresh and salt water are known. by looking at the amount of water that is displaced by the object and the comparing the mass (weight) of the water that can "fill" that object's volume to the actual mass (weight) of that object, you can tell whether or not it is negatively, neutrally or positively buoyant. that's why a brick sinks and a ocean liner floats.

good luck on your project bnt77. i'm working on an r.o.v. for a robotics project (for school) and i'm doing the same kind of stuff for the ballast control system for it... if you have some other questions, please pm me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom