unsure...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

well this goes back to my origional question then.

is there a formula for calucalting displacement then?

...i told ya i was bad at math...

64 lbs x (volume in cubic feet) = weight of displaced saltwater

62.4 lbs x (volume in cubic feet) = weight of displaced freshwater

Is that right Walter?

BNT77 once bubbled...
well this goes back to my origional question then.

is there a formula for calucalting displacement then?

...i told ya i was bad at math...

The volume of the object is its displacement, provided it doesn't absorb any water. For instance, a 1 cubic foot concrete block will displace 1 cubic foot of water, but a 1 cubic foot sponge will not since it will soak up a lot of water.

What exactly are you trying to do? Give us some specifics and we'll be able to help more.

well its kinda complicated because it involves multiple shapes, some sphered some cylindrical, etc but for example one of the spheres is 25' x 25'

*lol* thats why im here

If you know the dimensions, it's simple algebra to find the volume. There are formulas for sheres, cubes, etc. Just look 'em up and apply them.

the formulas for the component shapes might be simple, but if you have a cylinder connecting to a sphere, you need to calculate and subtract the overlap in order to get an accurate result, which isn't quite so simple.

exactly...but there is very little overlapping of that sort

hmmmmm

Displacement, volume etc. are simple.

More importantly, you need to have an understanding of engineering principles and mathmatics to design such a structure and have any chance of it being safe. I'm pretty good at math and I know such a project is well beyond my ability. Before undertaking this project, I'd want to go back to college for an engineering degree and then get some experience in the field.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom