UNO results are in!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stine:
:lol:
I think this is my new fave thread! You guys are nuts!
I gotta ask though, what's the difference btw a lake and a quarry? Tons of mountain lakes in my area, but I've never heard of a quarry!!

Would Scubuno work in a lake by chance? :D

The difference between a lake and a quarry is that we really don't have any lakes around here, so we dive at the quarries... :)
Glad you like us- we've been having a little too much fun, I think.
I think Long Lake is a quarry, even, isn't it? I've never been there- there is a lake called Natural Springs not to far from my house but it's not very nice so I drive the extra distance to the quarry.

Scubuno rule #1: don't forget your weight belt.

And, yes, eckybay, R.Joe put my 2 lber in the back of my car for me (I didn't even know it- I thought "oh well" after he drove away but then I looked and it was sitting right there- and my OTHER 2 lber was sitting down under the table so I'm glad I went down with a flashlight after...).

trucker girl:
And, yes, eckybay, R.Joe put my 2 lber in the back of my car for me (I didn't even know it- I thought "oh well" after he drove away but then I looked and it was sitting right there- and my OTHER 2 lber was sitting down under the table so I'm glad I went down with a flashlight after...).

lol . . .I figured he did. He's good about stuff like that . . .I was trying to hint at forgetting weight without being blatant about it.:wink:

And Long Lake is indeed an old quarry, although at only 25 feet, a rather shallow one.

Long Lake's main attraction, at least for Becky and myself, is that it's a couple of minutes from her house, it's cheap to get in, and it satisfies the diving jones whenever it crops up, but we don't feel like driving an hour to one of the main quarries.

Here's a scary thought... I was supposed to go diving again on Tuesday for that class thing I told you about but they're going on Thursday now- which is the day I'm supposed to be flying to Hawaii... and I was actually jealous that they'd get to dive and I wouldn't... isn't that a little sick.

Oh, and if I could get my Uno H2O deck to Ber Rabbit for the GLWC M&G I would... why should they sit on my kitchen table (which is where they are right now and probably where they'll remain until I get back!) when they could be put to good use! I won't be taking them to Hawaii with me- I think I'll have more interesting things to do (yes, I know, I'm rubbing it in again...).

Oh- and the Scubuno rule #1 applied to the weight belt BEFORE the dive... afterward it's every man for himself... just a tiny little jab that shall remain an esoteric thing among the 4 of us... I hear the GLWC M&G has "Las Vegas rules" meaning what happens there stays there- so if you don't go, you don't get to know. I guess we can have our own little "Scubuno marathon" with Vegas rules (to protect those being picked on...). :)

I would like to announce that the Baton Rouge chapter of the Semi-Organized ScubUNO Association of Divers (SOSAD) has had our first field trip. Two of us (*almost* three, but hey) went up to Alabama Blue Water Adventures in Pelham, AL. After making several cardless dives, it was decided that on the last dive of the weekend, we would bring the equipment for a nice, relaxing safety stop.

Of course, we couldn't let a little thing like actually going somewhere else in the quarry take away from our game time, so we entered the water and went directly to the 15' (well, 17' when we were there) training platform, which just happened to be conveniently located adjacent to the entry dock. (They think of *everything*.) We proceeded to tie one on... er... the bag, that is. We tied the big bag (with all the cards and everything else) onto the platform, and then each of us (okay, both of us) took a bungie cord and made a nice tie-down (generally, we kept an arm under the bungie to make things much less floaty-drifty). Once we were all set, the bag was opened, the snap rings were dispensed, and it was time to start playing. (By the way, the draw and discard snap rings were attached with a super-jumbo 5-or-so-inch paperclip to small snap rings clipped onto opposite sides of a 2-pound hard weight.)

First on the list (since we have to uphold the fine tradition of the charter chapter up there) was obviously UNO. It turned out to be a rather quick run, so we continued on a played a second game with the remains of the deck. Then we clipped that deck back together and tossed it in the big bag.

Next, we grabbed a deck of standard playing cards and played a game of Go Fish. (Okay, for practicality, we used a standard draw-pile instead of the more Go-Fish-y jumble, but if that's too terrible, we'll call it "Go Spearfish" instead.) Communication during the game went swimmingly thanks to the large school of fish checking us out (okay, the first time I pointed to a fish, it took a minute for Rachel to catch it... the concept, not the fish... but after that we were fin... er, fine). We used one-handed numbers for 1-10 (1-5: hand up, palm toward buddy, like taking an oath of office [counts as number of fingers]; 6-10: hand across front, palm toward self, like rubbing your stomach [counts as five plus number of fingers]), and for jack, queen, and king we signaled "face-1", "face-2", and "face-3", respectively (point at your own face, then give corresponding number). It was a blast, except that Rachel is either has telepathy, x-ray vision, or an eidetic memory -- almost every time I went fishing, she asked for the card I picked up... and it wasn't a reflection in my mask, either).

Who could stop there? We played a simplified rummy... it was a lot like gin rummy, but without knocking and laying off and all. You had to go "gin", or whatever you call it, i.e. you had to have all your cards melded in sets of runs, and then you show them and have won. We didn't bother scoring or anything else for that matter. Rachel won that game, too, so it was time to move back to something at which I had better apparent luck. We tossed the used deck in with the used UNO deck and the one from Go Fish, and out came...

Why, the other UNO deck, of course. Yet again we managed to get two games out of it, which is quite nice (considering how inconvenient underwater shuffling would be). By the time we finished UNO round number four, we were quite adept at handling the snap rings and using the weight to hold cards while drawing, playing, and making faces. Eventually, though, we played out the UNO cards, and lacking a third UNO deck, it was obvious what had to come next...

If you guessed, "another game of Go Fish", you're really strange. That said, considering we had already played one game (and rummy, and UNO four times), we're certainly in the "strange" category, so playing another game of Go Fish is precisely what we did. It went even better than the first time around. Most of the fish had left, making it harder to find one to point to, but we knew how to use the weight to hold cards temporarily, which significantly reduced the need for excessive clip-unclip-clip-unclip dances.

It was during this game of Go Fish that a group came by. I think it was the instructor who had lent me his pick to get the remains of Rachel's old HP spool O-ring out of her pressure gauge the day before, but it could've been someone else who looked similar and was all tech-diver-ed out with doubles and the rest. Anyway, whoever it was, he came over to us (as the rest of his group bunched up on the opposite end of the platform and looked suspiciously at us) and asked to see the cards (which quite intrigued him). Rachel gave him a hand (her cards, that is), and he seemed fascinated at the thought of plastic playing cards (you could almost read his mind as he thought about those long deco stops). I drew an imaginary target on the platform and indicated that's where to get the cards, and he thanked me and was about to swim off. I quickly waved him back and grabbed my mesh gear bag to show him one more thing -- when he saw UNO cards, his eyes lit up and he immediately draw a target and pointed at them. I said yes, indeed, and off he went with an almost mask-flooding grin. (So, without actually saying anything topside, I may have spread the phenomenon. :D)

Anyway, we finished Go Fish, but wouldn't you just know it, we still had one more deck of playing cards. I asked Rachel what to play, and we decided to go with War (also incorrectly called "battle", but not by us). We played the altered variant I made up a long time ago, where the winner (i.e. player with the higher card) keeps his card (or cards, if it was a war) putting it back on the bottom of his stack, but the losing card (again, or cards) is discarded instead of being given to the winner. This makes the game much faster, as you don't recycle losing cards. I call the variant "Quick War" or, more elegantly, "War of Attrition". It was a fun game (we used a goodie bag for the discard, which was faster than a discard ring but did require restacking the cards onto a ring afterward).

Well, as we only had two UNO decks and four decks of standard cards, that must've been it, right? Of course not! We played quite a few games of hangman (a few in between decks, even, but more afterward), and we even threw in a game of tic-tac-toe for completeness (although one was enough of that). Eventually, though, air was running low and it was time to surface, check out, and go home. Still, it was quite a fun dive, indeed.

Oh, and how long was our fun-and-games 100% "safety stop" 17-foot dive?

167 minutes! :D

(Yep, Rachel and I played around for two hours and forty-seven minutes on a single tank each. I used 3000 psi out of a borrowed AL100, ending just over 300 psi, and she used 2400 psi out of an AL80, ending up with 600 psi.)

Well, anyway. Oh, and we also told the guy who works there about our playing UNO and various card games. He said the thought had never occurred to him, but you could tell the thought was most certainly occurring now. :D

Awesome game report!

You made my morning. :D

THAT'S AWESOME!!!

I must say that I'm genuinely excited that Scuba game play has cought on! And... I LOVE the fact that you played go fish, rummy, war, etc! That's great!

Thanks for the entertaining trip report..... I foresee more "game dives" in your future! :D

OMG CLAY JAR! I am sitting in an aiport (for my trip home to Ohio to catch my flight to Hawaii- long story, you DON'T want to know) and I am laughing hysterically and people are looking at me funny!

I can't believe how prepared you are! I shuffled... but only a half-deck at a time! I am so psyched! I love the SOSAD bit... we'll definitely have to make it an official organization (or a semi-official dis-organization?)! That's great!

You can see the two-pound weight we were using for the cards (with the super-jumbo paperclips and snap rings). Rachel had her bungee loose, while mine was taut (the better to stay put). The black bag off the left is the big mesh gear bag I use on boat trips, and you can see the plastic canister in which the shuffled decks were staged (once used, I just tossed them into the big bag until it was time to go up).

Oh, and obviously, the pony is mine, and I took it off so lying on the platform was easier. :D

Uno H2O is not yet available in Canada!! NOT FAIR!!!:crying2:
Anybody know if it is available online somewhere?
I wanna be the first in Canada to join SOSAD!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom