Units of Measure in Diving?

What units of measure do you use most (not necessarily prefer) in diving?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Depends on the dive, gear and gauges. Metric for techish decoish type things, because after one comes two then three more easily and requires less fingers..

I'm bi-numerical. Except when I am narc'ed.

All the dive destinations I've visited in Asia was using metric measurement, with Bar for pressure. I haven't seen any SPGs or consoles in MPa yet.

#I was a kid living in Melbourne when Australia turned Metric. I still remember seeing on TV workers making the 100kph speed limit sign at a factory, and was amazed to see the digits hand painted.

As an American abroad I'm ambi-unital; I still have more of a gut-level feel for Imperial units, however. I can multiply or divide by 2.2, 3.3, or 14.7, as needed.

Um, pascals & bars are sorta interchangeable. But sure, in the spirit of the thing, & in spite of the fact that Faber steel tanks in Oz are marked in mega Pascals, I answered; Meters, Grams, & Bars outside the US.

Suspect this poll is going to be havily geographical related. Also theres a mix in some places.

Most of the world barring N. America and Carribean use metres. However some places in asia still use PSI.

Um, pascals & bars are sorta interchangeable. But sure, in the spirit of the thing, & in spite of the fact that Faber steel tanks in Oz are marked in mega Pascals, I answered; Meters, Grams, & Bars outside the US.

For those unfamiliar with SI (Système International d'unités), commonly called the Metric System, here are some conversion factors:

One Standard Atmosphere equals:
SI Units
101,325 Pascals
101.325 KPa or Kilo Pascals or 1000x
0.101325 MPa or Mega Pascals or 1 Million x
1.01325 Bar
10.0627586096078 Meters of Sea Water
Imperial Units
14.695948775 PSI
33.899524252 Feet of Fresh Water at 4° C
33.014299900156 Feet of Seawater based on a density of 64.1 Lbs/Ft³​

Last edited:
The 4th one

it's a requirement under AS 1210 that the tanks are marked in MPa i believe... although it's been a while since I've had to read over the standard.

ummm... why isn't there a SI for inside the US? don't the US armed forces use SI?

Back
Top Bottom