United baggage rules updated - RETRACTION!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No. Our house does. The amount of stuff we have does not change. And it doesn't take two people to hold a bag and read a scale.
I tried that before I found portable luggage scales. If I'm holding a 50# bag, I can't see the scale.

I like to weigh in the hotel too, as gear doesn't dry fully. The bigger issue is how I pack the bags, somethings I take in my roll-on I may try to pack in checked on return, but I may well pack more than you - as is almost always the case.

---------- Post added May 11th, 2015 at 05:26 AM ----------

I see that United came in as 4th worst American airline, with ExpressJet operating as a United Express came in as 2nd worst - but then there are only 12 US airlines now so the competition for worst is tight. From Five worst airlines in America - Fortune

In the ten years I've been diving I can count the number of United bag fees I've paid on one hand.

I've been diving since 1976. I have yet to pay a bag fee of any kind. They key is to fly a lot and have your company pay for the privilege. In return, you get a inflated sense of fake self-importance while you watch your kids grow up while you're on the road.

I see that United came in as 4th worst American airline, with ExpressJet operating as a United Express came in as 2nd worst - but then there are only 12 US airlines now so the competition for worst is tight. From Five worst airlines in America - Fortune

They do certainly try very hard to be worst. We boycotted United for 10 years due to a luggage issue, but I've had to fly them recently for business and am happier with them than I have been with American lately. So now I'm on a United/Delta kick.

But my experience on LAN Airlines going to Ecuador was SO much better than American coming back, that if I ever have a choice of a non-US major carrier, I'd probably take it.

Yeah I so miss Continental. American Eagle was deemed the very worst.

Ranting about United....

They cancelled our upcoming flights to Bonaire, and automatically rescheduled us. Too bad they scheduled us to leave one day to Houston, but the flight from Houston to Bonaire was the day BEFORE we leave our home. Duh.

It only took a 40 minute phone call to a non-english speaking person to clear it up. And a few calls to reschedule car rentals and hotel.

Thanks United.

FYI.

just left Cozumel today , with our bag at 62 lbs(2 sets of gear). The agent confirmed once again that the
United weight limit for SCUBA GEAR only is 70 pounds

FYI.

just left Cozumel today , with our bag at 62 lbs(2 sets of gear). The agent confirmed once again that the
Thanks, but I'm not going to chance it. It's a $200 penalty if the agent at the gate at 5AM does not agree with that.

FYI.

It's great that that still works. An agent who used to work or contract for Continental I suppose.

Thanks, but I'm not going to chance it. It's a $200 penalty if the agent at the gate at 5AM does not agree with that.
Yep, they'll get the word someday.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom