Unified Dive Industry wants to change DEMA for the better!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For what? I spent six years trying to change the organization and failed.

I would like those who post for change to tell us what they want to change and how they would go about it. With only a half-dozen of so posters on this thread, it does't appear that change is coming.

Yes change is coming, some will resist, others will moan about the past. Change is coming one way or the other. There are now over 100 industry stakeholders who have signed on for change. More are coming.

The purpose of this initiative is to work to control the change to channel the energy, the money, and the direction of a new DEMA, to benefit all not just a few.

Once DEMA is truly representative of all industry segments much other work, obviously, needs to be done. This work is already underway.

The first step is what we are talking about here. The more people who stand up and vote the better off we all will be.

Do you want a new industry organization or just the current status and complaints about the past?

Okay, so hundreds of us signed a petition, and said we want things to change. Others are saying that we don't want the status quo. Still others have tried to change things in the past, and the "industry" was resistant to change. I don't think the "industry" is resistant to change, I think it's lethargic, I think it's trying to stay in business in tough times, and I think rather than work together for the long term goal, it is more interested in short term profit (or survival).

So, what have you got for us, Chris, Dick and Mike, You've got our interest, you've got our DEMA votes, Shall we have a meeting to explain the strategy? Do you need a donation or dues to secure a conference room for Tuesday night before the show opens? Do we all need to gather in a hotel room with a 6 pack? Turn us on, men. Lead us into battle. FLY THE STANDARD FROM THE YARDARM!! or at least tell us your ideas. I'm all ears. But remember, I am part of the dreaded travel segment of the industry. I want my vote counted too.

Frank

Okay, so hundreds of us signed a petition, and said we want things to change. Others are saying that we don't want the status quo. Still others have tried to change things in the past, and the "industry" was resistant to change. I don't think the "industry" is resistant to change, I think it's lethargic, I think it's trying to stay in business in tough times, and I think rather than work together for the long term goal, it is more interested in short term profit (or survival).

So, what have you got for us, Chris, Dick and Mike, You've got our interest, you've got our DEMA votes, Shall we have a meeting to explain the strategy? Do you need a donation or dues to secure a conference room for Tuesday night before the show opens? Do we all need to gather in a hotel room with a 6 pack? Turn us on, men. Lead us into battle. FLY THE STANDARD FROM THE YARDARM!! or at least tell us your ideas. I'm all ears. But remember, I am part of the dreaded travel segment of the industry. I want my vote counted too.

Frank

Frank: Thanks for your vote.

We are working with the local consumer shows, Pat Hammer etc. and others, to start
some real grass root efforts, more local clubs, local diving, more travel, etc. It will take some time but it is coming and Dick Long is leading the charge.

You are part of one of the most important segments of our industry. People look forward to their dive trips; they have fun and tend to dive more in their local dive locations after a good trip. When you give them a good dive experience we all benefit.

Your vote is counted and much appreciated.

I think what is happening here is really exciting and long overdue. I happily signed the petition and would love for the stated demands to immediately be met by the DEMA BOD

But-

Given what we know about the current BOD, do we really think they will do anything other than laugh?

Until the Manufactures, Agencies, and Resorts make an actual stand and NOT participate in DEMA SHOW or pay any membership dues will DEMA actually start listening.

A lot of manufactures and several agencies have been threatening to no longer participate in DEMA show, and while some have stuck to their guns, many have given in.

I would like those who post for change to tell us what they want to change and how they would go about it. With only a half-dozen of so posters on this thread, it does't appear that change is coming.

well, i was among the first few that was OK with having my name atached, so I'll speak.

Everybody involved in getting the petition together has ideas of what change they would like to see, however it is recognized that just because we want certain changes, not everybody will or indeed that what we want is the "right" answer. As such the first step is to get DEMA back for the members. The second is getting everybody who has been disenfranchised a voice and actually listening to them! Then the hard work starts.

It would be wonderful to have your voice among them Lee, but the reality is you did your time and have retired. It's your choice to get involved or not.

This is simply the clarion call to action, what actions depend on the battlefield conditions and the depth of desire to be something more than just another failed leisure time activity. Quite literally upon our shoulders lies the responsibility of being stewards of the underwater world and the tellers of our legends (Cousteau, Has, Cronin and more). Your call, but quite frankly help us row the freaking boat or jump the heck off so we can get somewhere! :D

It would be wounderful to have your voice among them Lee

Given what we know about the current BOD, do we really think they will do anything other than laugh?

of course that is a VERY real possibility. Lets be blunt, as thse of us got together to discuss what needs to be done there were two camps, those that wanted to "reform" DEMA and thse (myself among them) that said, screw them lets starve the beast.

What has happened is the first efforts are directed at reform, simultaneously there are plans in place to resurrect a dive organization to assist the new DEMA, or if needed simply take over. Make NO mistake, this is serious.

The MOST important thing is to get as much of the industry involved as possible.

Until the Manufactures, Agencies, and Resorts make an actual stand and NOT participate in DEMA SHOW or pay any membership dues will DEMA actually start listening.

A lot of manufactures and several agencies have been threatening to no longer participate in DEMA show, and while some have stuck to their guns, many have given in.

And I'm all over that, but I HAVE to have an alternative. I do too much business at DEMA to just give it up.

Wasn't there an effort a couple of years back to have a dive show alternative to DEMA? Whatever happened to that?

And I'm all over that, but I HAVE to have an alternative. I do too much business at DEMA to just give it up.

Wasn't there an effort a couple of years back to have a dive show alternative to DEMA? Whatever happened to that?

I guess you've lost me, are you in fear of the DEMA show disappearing along with DEMA? If so that WILL happen if we don't get DEMA back, that is a fiscal certainty.

well, i was among the first few that was OK with having my name atached, so I'll speak.

Everybody involved in getting the petition together has ideas of what change they would like to see, however it is recognized that just because we want certain changes, not everybody will or indeed that what we want is the "right" answer. As such the first step is to get DEMA back for the members. The second is getting everybody who has been disenfranchised a voice and actually listening to them! Then the hard work starts.

It would be wonderful to have your voice among them Lee, but the reality is you did your time and have retired. It's your choice to get involved or not.

This is simply the clarion call to action, what actions depend on the battlefield conditions and the depth of desire to be something more than just another failed leisure time activity. Quite literally upon our shoulders lies the responsibility of being stewards of the underwater world and the tellers of our legends (Cousteau, Has, Cronin and more). Your call, but quite frankly help us row the freaking boat or jump the heck off so we can get somewhere! :D

It would be wounderful to have your voice among them Lee

I would be glad to add my voice to those who want to change things for the better, but after hearing that kind of rhetoric for years, I have become jaded and now must ask who will I join and what is their commitment (and plan). I have been down this road before. I will be at the show and talking with Dick Long and others and see if and how I can help. The best support can be had by having a plan other than saying "throw the bums out".

I would be glad to add my voice to those who want to change things for the better, but after hearing that kind of rhetoric for years, I have become jaded and now must ask who will I join and what is their commitment (and plan). I have been down this road before. I will be at the show and talking with Dick Long and others and see if and how I can help. The best support can be had by having a plan other than saying "throw the bums out".

yeah throw the bums out, replace with new bums and no plan...thats a non starter.

They aren't bums BTW, just need to remember the membership pays the bills.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom