Unified Dive Industry wants to change DEMA for the better!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I could well be under an incorrect perception, but I was under the impression that ScubaPro had lately "lost" any affinity to the DEMA organization. Maybe this is because they no longer play a gigantic role in the administration of the organization. But to be honest, I really don't know where I developed that perception, and like many perceptions, it is not likely based on any particular superior knowledge.

Phil Ellis
Discount Scuba Gear at DiveSports.com - Buy Scuba Diving Equipment & Snorkeling Equipment

It was common opinion at the time that Scubapro and PADI bought enough votes to control the board. I think Scubapro ended up dis-illusioned and left

It's important to note that the Sea Grass Roots organization is not out to torpedo DEMA. I don't think that there is a slush fund nor have I seen any evidence of it. As for twice in Orlando, Katrina had more to do with that than poor planning. My understanding is that one of those years it was slated for the Big Easy, but it's hard to have a show while everyone is still picking up the pieces from a hurricane!

My earnest hope is for a more responsive DEMA. DEMA should be looking to it's members to help solve their problems. Frankly, I feel rather ostracized from DEMA. I always have. Like an outsider looking in at what the cool kids are doing. In so many ways, the divers know all about us, but we are the industry's best kept secret. The red headed step child!

It's important to note that the Sea Grass Roots organization is not out to torpedo DEMA. I don't think that there is a slush fund nor have I seen any evidence of it. As for twice in Orlando, Katrina had more to do with that than poor planning. My understanding is that one of those years it was slated for the Big Easy, but it's hard to have a show while everyone is still picking up the pieces from a hurricane!

My earnest hope is for a more responsive DEMA. DEMA should be looking to it's members to help solve their problems. Frankly, I feel rather ostracized from DEMA. I always have. Like an outsider looking in at what the cool kids are doing. In so many ways, the divers know all about us, but we are the industry's best kept secret. The red headed step child!

New Orleans was never in line-up after Houston. If you have an old DEMA directory, look at the future locations in the back.

It does not matter where the locations were scheduled or why, that is all in the past.

What does matter now is that DEMA has become the old boys club and no longer represents or supports the overall membership or the dive industry as a whole.

The present initiative, spearheaded by Dick Long, the founder of DUI, and a brave soul, is our best chance in quite a long while to make a sea change in the way we interact with all segments: Retailers, Instructors, Manufacturers/Distributors, and, most importantly- DIVERS.

It is time for a change-step up and vote.

Last edited:
It all matters. Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it!

Pork barrel projects are one thing. Nothing illegal about them though they are not in the best interest of the entire group. A slush fund is illegal, pure and simple. There is enough to discuss without overstating the implications.

Pork barrel projects are one thing. Nothing illegal about them though they are not in the best interest of the entire group. A slush fund is illegal, pure and simple. There is enough to discuss without overstating the implications.

If you prefer "Pork Barrel" I have no objections.

Tobin

Well, where is your vote?

For what? I spent six years trying to change the organization and failed.

I would like those who post for change to tell us what they want to change and how they would go about it. With only a half-dozen of so posters on this thread, it does't appear that change is coming.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom