Unified Dive Industry wants to change DEMA for the better!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will be at the show and talking with Dick Long and others and see if and how I can help.
Almost as good, and even better for those who won't be making the show, we are very close to having a forum for this new initiative here on ScubaBoard. Part will be public and part will be closed to just those who have signed the petition. Dick Long will hopefully make the transition as well... he's just a bit flummoxed by this whole internet thingy... so you will be able to approach him right here on ScubaBoard! We'll know for certain in a day or two, but maybe you can help me to convince him to do just that! :D

Hopefully those that "head-up" the reformation of DEMA will also be willing to participate in the social media aspect of it as well.

"Scubaboard" allows us to feel the PULSE of this industry more and more everyday. It also lets all of us have a voice and participate.

personally, I will not fully support anyone who doesn't recognize the importance of participating in venues such as scubaboard.

It's important to note that the Sea Grass Roots organization is not out to torpedo DEMA. I don't think that there is a slush fund nor have I seen any evidence of it. As for twice in Orlando, Katrina had more to do with that than poor planning. My understanding is that one of those years it was slated for the Big Easy, but it's hard to have a show while everyone is still picking up the pieces from a hurricane!

My earnest hope is for a more responsive DEMA. DEMA should be looking to it's members to help solve their problems. Frankly, I feel rather ostracized from DEMA. I always have. Like an outsider looking in at what the cool kids are doing. In so many ways, the divers know all about us, but we are the industry's best kept secret. The red headed step child!

At the Houston show, which was poorly attended, they made a big deal about "we'll see you back here in 2 years". I'm away from my Houston DEMA catalog, but I'd bet it's mentioned in there somewhere. My memory kind of meshes with the poster claiming that they cancelled a multi-year deal with Houston with hopes of producing a better attended show.

Some time after the show it was apparent that a return trip in two years would be a mistake. I'm pretty sure recalling there was a note from DEMA explaining the back to back years in Orlando. The decision had been made that Orlando and Las Vegas had the best level of attendance and that should be where the show should be for a while. Vegas was unavailable during the time slot they'd already announced for the Houston return trip, so after some scrambling they'd set up the two years in Orlando, cancelled the Houston return trip and scheduled the following year in Vegas, with plans to rotate back and forth after that.

aqualung has signed the petition

WOW! ....I am shocked. Very impressive list, and growing very fast.

I'm also surprised that another agency hasn't signed yet

You're kidding, Right?

Most agencies are not in the mood to change the industry, profit comes from members, not students. More members, more profit. The non-progressive agencies would far rather make 1000 crappy divers that don't drown than 100 who go on to become photographers, tech divers, videographers. It takes more members to make those crappy divers.

Here is the old school. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Diver A goes to get certified. He goes wild for scuba, makes a trip or 2, gets his advanced certification. Hangs out at the shop, becomes part of the crowd, buys his second set of gear (the good stuff this time). Takes a rescue or stress rescue class, runs a few more trips, figures out he doesn't have as much money in his wallet as he used to. Becomes a Divemaster or Divcon so he can go on trips for "free". As a shop divcon, he schleps tanks, sets up the navigation course, leads a trip to the quarry, talks a few friends into diving. Sees that instructors have all the glory and get all the hotties, so studies and passes their IDC/ITC/IE. Works for 2 years as a shop instructor, and a birdy flies by (or a motorcycle or a bit of fluff, or he found the right hottie) and completely loses interest. Shop now needs a new instructor, the old instructor is told by his agency that he still needs to pay dues and buy insurance for 7 years or they will be sued, so he makes it 5 before he gives up on the dues to the agency. Pretty good deal for the agency, no?

A progressive shop or agency would realize that a diver that is retained for 10-15 years will buy new gear every 3-5 years. They will travel twice per year, once to a within US dive destination (or Cozumel), once to an exotic one. They will take a break while the kids are growing, but they'll be back (with kids). They will progress to cave diving, deep diving, wreck penetration, video or/and photo, rebreather, etc. etc. The shop can choose to have a part of all that, or they can choose to make 1000 divers that at least don't die while diving. The 2 paths are quantity or quality. The industry has chosen quantity in the past. The world can't be taught to dive, only a segment can. It's our job as industry to keep that segment diving as long as possible without killing the golden goose.

Frank

Looks like I'm in! Dick Long asked me to chair the Chicago meeting.

Back
Top Bottom