Unified Dive Industry wants to change DEMA for the better!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dan is one of the most far sighted manufacturing officials, always has been.

Recently we are doing a lot of work with the Oceanic/Aeris group and I had the pleasure to meet Dan (and Doug) in person.

I can attest that Dan and his team are really thinking "outside the box" and trying to figure out what this industry will need 5 to 10 years down the road and lead the charge with innovative approaches.

I am very pleased with the whole team.

Alberto

So does this really boil down to PADI and Aqua Lung vs. everybody else?

That is a most interesting observation.

It is clear that PADI exerts an unusual degree influence on EVERYTHING in the industry, including DEMA. They are the single biggest force in scuba in North America, and likely the single biggest force in the world. When you include their very close business relationship with a number of travel partners, they are almost overwhelming.

Now, I AM NOT NECESSARILY SAYING THAT THIS IS BAD! This industry benefits greatly from the advances PADI has promoted and PADI has every right to exert heavy influence. Much the same can probably be said about Aqua Lung. Big is big, no matter which industry you are discussing.

I think it is extremely important to realize the MANY people in the scuba industry see DEMA as the show. As a result, many current DEMA members will simply sit on the sidelines as this debate goes on. They are happy with the "show" and as a result, happy with the organization.

Anyway, just my opinion.

Phil Ellis
www.divesports.com

I was not originally shocked to see ScubaPro immediately sign this initiative. I have always sensed that they had considerable differences with the way the DEMA organization operated. However, the addition yesterday of Oceanic and Aeris was just a little surprising and quite a breath of fresh air.

Phil Ellis
Discount Scuba Gear at DiveSports.com - Buy Scuba Diving Equipment & Snorkeling Equipment

I wonder why you are not surprised? When Cronin was prez of DEMA, he and Mario V. worked pretty close. Still have copies of e-mails Mario sent me saying "up yours" when I prodded about DEMA finances.

I think it is extremely important to realize the MANY people in the scuba industry see DEMA as the show. As a result, many current DEMA members will simply sit on the sidelines as this debate goes on. They are happy with the "show" and as a result, happy with the organization.

No doubt you move in different circles than I do Phil, but I know very few who are "happy" with the DEMA show.

Their sitting at home with both hands on their wallet.

Tobin

This is about DEMA, the organization, not PADI or Aqualung or anybody else. Some may feel it is but it really isn't, it's about having in place a structure that benefits the industry above all else, it's about an association that is accountable to it's members, ALL of them and one that strives to evolve.

No doubt you move in different circles than I do Phil, but I know very few who are "happy" with the DEMA show.

Their sitting at home with both hands on their wallet.

Tobin

I agree with you Tobin, but I also realize that the VAST MAJORITY of people who will attend the show this year will be CLUELESS as the role DEMA plays, or is supposed to play outside of the confines of the annual show. They are simply happy to be at the show and all is well for them. Sad, but the truth.

Phil Ellis
www.divesports.com

There is by no means enough money in membership dues to run DEMA. Virtually all funds to run DEMA come from the trade show!!

A booth (decorating and drayage etc.) at DEMA is not priced at the real cost of attending the show, it is priced well above this cost in order to provide a "stealth" source of revenue for a DEMA "slush fund."

This slush fund is either spent ineffectually or for the specific benefit of a select few companies.

I'd suggest cutting the cost to attend back to the real cost, and dispense with the additional self taxation.

Lower cost booths will encourage more exhibitors, more exhibitors attract more attendees.

There's no reason the trade show and the broad based promotion of diving has to done by the same organization.

Tobin

Tobin,

I know of no "stealth" source for a DEMA "slush fund".

I can have a long discussion regarding DEMA's failure to provide value for its' members. Let me tell you about the last DEMA Houston decision.

After the first DEMA show in Houston the membership was adamant about never going back. DEMA, through its' inability to make long term decisions, had a limited selection as to where to place the show. Orlando was the best option but Houston wanted the show BAD. Reports to me indicated that Houston offered a multi show contract with "rebates" of about $100k a show going back to DEMA. Now this may sound reasonable, but consider the following DEMA is a business whose primary function is to provide the industry with a trade show. As an exhibitor, I wish to have the largest audience available. The Houston show generated a rebate of $100k or $75 a booth. Attendance at the Houston show was poor. I would have gladly paid more money to DEMA for a better venue but DEMA decided for me, that the $100K they got was in my best interest. The decision to go into Orlando back to back is another poor decision made due to lack of proper planning.

It was my statement upon leaving the organization that "DEMA has demonstrated that is cannot spend the industry's resources responsibly and with that it should seek to provide the best trade show for the lowest cost possible".

My understanding is that DEMA had to give the money back to Houston for cancelling the multi-year contract.

DEMA continues to show that it cannot do either well.

Last edited:
I wonder why you are not surprised? When Cronin was prez of DEMA, he and Mario V. worked pretty close. Still have copies of e-mails Mario sent me saying "up yours" when I prodded about DEMA finances.

I could well be under an incorrect perception, but I was under the impression that ScubaPro had lately "lost" any affinity to the DEMA organization. Maybe this is because they no longer play a gigantic role in the administration of the organization. But to be honest, I really don't know where I developed that perception, and like many perceptions, it is not likely based on any particular superior knowledge.

Phil Ellis
www.divesports.com

Tobin,

I know of no "stealth" source for a DEMA "slush fund".

Lee,

I used the terms a bit tongue in cheek.

Why does US treasury require paycheck withholding for taxes? Because if most of the population had to write checks for quarterly estimated tax payments there would be a revolution.

When the money just "disappears" every week it's much less obvious.

Same with DEMA, if the Show is really the main source of $$ for DEMA's "other" activities you have a similar illusion.

If the price to exhibit at the show reflected the true cost of only the show, and the members were billed / or solicited separately for the "other" activities the barricades and pitch forks would have been on display long ago.

Tobin

Back
Top Bottom