Unhappy with Slingshots, need something lighter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TexasKaren68

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Before my recent trip to Cozumel I bought my very first pair of scuba diving fins, the Aqualung Slingshots. When I tried them on in the store I thought they might be a bit too big and heavy for me but based on reviews and the endorsement of my cousin who loves hers, I bought them.

Well, during my very first two open water dives (I'm just starting the learning/certification process) I found it very hard to maneuver myself with these boats on my feet. I know I'm new and my buoyancy sucks and I was dealing with a slight current, and getting stung by a sea urchin, and trying to kneel on the bottom isn't going to be normal behavior once I'm certified, but still... I think at least for the near future I should look for an "easier" fin.

What do you think about split fins? Would they be OK for a newbie with no ankle strength :confused: I also want to consider how much they'll weigh in my luggage. I took the slingshots on my cruise to Cozumel and had to take my largest suitcase to fit them in. I would have preferred to take a smaller case because the trip was only for four days but since I really wanted my fins with me, I dealt with the 50 pound suitcase. Any suggestions for a good pair of split fins?

I also own a pair of Tusa Tri-ex fins that I've never worn. I got them as part of a bulk scuba equipment purchase from a friend of a friend who had to sell all her stuff due to a medical condition. They seem a bit lighter but are quite curved and seem to be rather stiff. Being new I have no idea how fins are supposed to look/feel for the best performance. Any thoughts on these fins?

Hopefully you live within drving distance of Scubatoys in Dallas, then you can use their indoor pool to test-borrow a wide variety of fins they offer. I'm a huge fan of the Apollo Bio fins with stainless steel spring straps. (they're 'splits') They're insanely comfortable yet powerful too...I own 4 pairs, have dove them for many years on plenty of 'advanced' dive sites and trust my life to them! They're 100% natural rubber and with the SS straps are essentially unbreakable/indestructable. Being 100% rubber they're very comfy, but a little 'heavier' than some other fins...but they're not big (clumsy) fins in terms of length, like so many other fins....excessive length is what makes fins bulky (both to pack and to dive with).

Hopefully you live within drving distance of Scubatoys in Dallas, then you can use their indoor pool to test-borrow a wide variety of fins they offer. I'm a huge fan of the Apollo Bio fins with stainless steel spring straps. (they're 'splits') They're insanely comfortable yet powerful too...I own 4 pairs, have dove them for many years on plenty of 'advanced' dive sites and trust my life to them! They're 100% natural rubber and with the SS straps are essentially unbreakable/indestructable. Being 100% rubber they're very comfy, but a little 'heavier' than some other fins...but they're not big (clumsy) fins in terms of length, like so many other fins....excessive length is what makes fins bulky (both to pack and to dive with).

I'm in the San Antonio area. My local dive shop doesn't seem to have a huge selection of fins unfortunately. Most of the ones I read about as being lighter/easier are not available here and I'm unsure of sizing for different brands. I suppose I can just go on an online ordering spree and then return whatever doesn't fit or feel right but that seems to be a lot of wasted time and postage. The guy at my dive shop suggested Scubapro twin jet fins (split fins) but they seem just as big and heavy as the Slingshots. I'm going to try them out next weekend. He also showed me the Aqualung Hotshots which are a smaller version of the slingshots, but are meant to be worn without boots - and I need boots for shore diving.

Go with the Scubapro Seawing Novas! They are one of the highest rated fins ever tested by ScubaLab. They are light so they would be good for travel and almost everyone I know who has tried them love them.

I have a pair of fins similar to the Tusa's that I use for teaching in the pool. Not quite like my jet fins but I can still back up and turn and what not, nice and floppy too which makes flutter kicking really easy. Or shuffle in my case...

Either way I'd try those Tusa's first and see if you like them. The slingshots are a really weird fin...
The twin jet is a lot shorter than the slingshots which is helpful although just as heavy.
For travel I did fit a full set of tech gear, including xxl jet fins in a carryon. Everything but the tanks and drysuit.

I have a buddy who is selling his twin jets if you like them. They are near new but they are too small for him. He bought a new drysuit and the boots don't fit. They are stupid easy to kick with especially in currents

Go with the Scubapro Seawing Novas! They are one of the highest rated fins ever tested by ScubaLab. They are light so they would be good for travel and almost everyone I know who has tried them love them.

My dive shop does carry these so I'll probably ask to try them in the pool next weekend and see how they do.

If you are looking for light, check out APS Mantaray Fins. I have dove them, and they are incredibly light weight.

I was looking at those after reading some other threads on SB. My dive shop doesn't carry them though, and they really interest me. I may have to order a pair online and return them if I don't like them, or keep them forever if I do :D

I have a pair of fins similar to the Tusa's that I use for teaching in the pool. Not quite like my jet fins but I can still back up and turn and what not, nice and floppy too which makes flutter kicking really easy. Or shuffle in my case...

Either way I'd try those Tusa's first and see if you like them. The slingshots are a really weird fin...
The twin jet is a lot shorter than the slingshots which is helpful although just as heavy.
For travel I did fit a full set of tech gear, including xxl jet fins in a carryon. Everything but the tanks and drysuit.

I have a buddy who is selling his twin jets if you like them. They are near new but they are too small for him. He bought a new drysuit and the boots don't fit. They are stupid easy to kick with especially in currents

Thanks for the info. I'm going to be trading in my Slingshots for another pair from my dive shop, so if I like the twin jets it will probably be them.

Something tells me that by the end of the year I will probably be the proud owner of a few sets of fins. I have a full foot fin from Walmart that is suitable for snorkeling, the Tusa pair, whatever I trade my Slingshots for, and another pair strictly for travel when suitcase weight is an issue. I think I may get those APS Mantarays for that last purpose. I hope a size small will fit my size 6 booties - returns are such a hassle.

edit: just found a pair for $39 on ebay. Yellow would not be my color of choice but to save $60 I don't think I care that much.

I dislike splits, but there are a number of people who love them. Based on what I've read if you are going to go with splits, your best choices would be the Apollo bio-fin, Atomic Splits and Scubapro Twin Jets.

I personally would recommend getting an easier-kicking paddle-fin instead of splits. Best choices IMO for a light-weight, easy-kicking fin would be: Scubapro Seawing Nova, Mares Volo, or Mares Excel+

Give Force Fin Pro a try,...it's light, highly maneuverable, durable, and packed with lots of power

I

I personally would recommend getting an easier-kicking paddle-fin instead of splits. Best choices IMO for a light-weight, easy-kicking fin would be: Scubapro Seawing Nova, Mares Volo, or Mares Excel+

When it comes to easy kicking, I wouldn't put Mares Excels in the same group as the Volos or Seawing. In fact, Excels are one of the stiffest fins I'v encountered.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom