Unhappy with Slingshots, need something lighter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have atomics and apollos. They both weigh around the same but the apollos are shorter in length and can be packed into a smaller size bag. Love the spring straps that are on my apollos but feel that I get more power from my atomics (will probably buy the spring straps for these one of these days).

However, when it comes to traveling long distances (Indonesia, Fiji, etc) I now pack the apollos because of their length.

BTW... started off using the plana avantes back in 1988 but the first time I dove with split fins I knew I was hooked on them!!

update from my post. My fins are the Aqualung Caravells. I really do like them for most applications. Not the thrust ratio as jets which is important for doubles and a drysuit, but for wetsuits and kicking around the pool they're peachy

IMO, the best feature of the APS Mantaray fins is portability. They're shorter than all of the fins I've used and fairly lightweight. I own a pair of the black-colored ones, which are made of a stiffer compound than the other colored ones. I believe that the other colors might be slightly positively buoyant, whereas the black ones are slightly negatively buoyant. The foot pocket on the size XL is generous; it fits both my drysuit boots (Bare Trek) and wetsuit boots (Pinnacle hard-soled variety).

In terms of power and speed, I find the fins somewhat lacking. It feels like I have small pieces of cardboard strapped to my feet. :D That being said, I can do all of my regular kicks with the fins (back, frog, flutter, etc.). The stretchy fin straps are easy to don/doff and can be used as replacement fin straps for most fins that have the molded posts.

The testimonials on the manufacturer's website feature some pretty far-fetched claims. I'd ignore all of the marketing language on the site.

The best travel fin I've encountered yet (with an asterisk for frog kickers):

Review: Hot Shot Travel fins

...Especially since you indicated an interest for a "split fin feel", these can be made to feel uncannily like splits.

All the best, James

The best travel fin I've encountered yet (with an asterisk for frog kickers):

Review: Hot Shot Travel fins
@fdog: That's one of the best fin reviews I've ever read. Thanks for sharing that.

that review has me interested in trying these out...i didn't like the sea wing novas and just bought a pair of twin jets since i know they work for me...but as i was walking by the hot shots, i was tempted to try them. maybe, i will now.

Back
Top Bottom